Trained in soil science, John Ingram gained extensive experience in the 1980s working in Africa and Asia in agriculture and forestry research projects. In 1991 he was recruited by UK's Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) to help organise, coordinate and synthesise research on global change and agroecology, part of IGBP's international global change research programme. In 2001 he was appointed the Executive Officer for the international research project Global Environmental Change and Food Systems (GECAFS). On the close of GECAFS in 2011 he was appointed NERC Food Security Leader until assuming his current role of Food Systems Programme Leader at the University of Oxford's Environmental Change Institute in May 2013.
John currently co-leads the Foresight4Food (F4F) initiative. His interests are in the conceptual framing of food systems; the interactions among the many actors involved and their varied activities, and the outcomes of their activities for food security, livelihoods and environment; and food system resilience. He has designed and led regional food system research projects in Europe, south Asia, southern Africa and the Caribbean and has conceived, developed and/or led a range of major international research initiatives. He has had substantial interaction with FAO, UNEP and CGIAR and many other international organisations, with national departments and agencies, with NGOs, and with businesses in the food sector, helping to establish research on the links between food security and environment through the analysis of food systems. In addition to leading the food systems research group within ECI, he also leads the multi-university post-graduate Interdisciplinary Food Systems Teaching and Learning' programme (IFSTAL) and coordinates the UK Global Food Security programme Resilience of the UK Food System. He is an Associate Professor in Oxford's School of Geography and the Environment, and Senior Research Fellow at Somerville College.
Developing and promoting ECI's food systems research programme; Co-I on several food systems research projects; Leading the multi-university Innovative Food Systems Teaching and Learning programme (IFSTAL).
- IFAD FaST
- FSA Food Systems
- NERC Nutrient Cycles
- H-Eu FOSTER
Mapping the UK food system: A report for the UKRI Transforming UK Food Systems Programme
This report quantifies the distribution of economic value, the number of enterprises, and levels of employment across the UK food system. It has ‘mapped’ UK food system activities as described by their economic value, employee and enterprise numbers. This provides a first assessment of the overall shape of the UK food system and a foundation to build on for further analyses.
- Zurek, M., Ingram, J. et al. (2022) Food System Resilience: Concepts, Issues, and Challenges. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 47: 511-534.
- Pope, H., de Frece, A., Wells, R., Ajates, R., Arnall, A., Blake, L.J., Hasnain, S., Ingram, J., Reed, K., Sykes, R. and Whatford, L. (2021) Developing a functional food systems literacy for interdisciplinary dynamic learning networks. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 5. 747627.
- Hasnain, S., Ingram, J. and Zurek, M. (2020) Mapping the UK Food System - a report for the UKRI Transforming UK Food Systems Programme. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford.
- Ingram, J. (2020) Nutrition security is more than food security. Nature Food, 1(2).
- Zurek, M., Garbutt, G., Lieb, T., Hess, T. and Ingram, J. (2020) Increasing the resilience of the UK fresh fruit and vegetable system to water-related risks. Sustainability, 12(18). 7519.
- Ingram, J., Ajates, R., Arnall, A., Blake, L., Borrelli, R., Collier, R., de Frece, A., Häsler, B., Lang, T., Pope, H., Reed, K., Sykes, R., Wells, R. and White, R. (2019) A future workforce of food-system analysts. Nature Food.
- Ingram, J. and Zurek, M. (2018) Food Systems Approaches for the Future. Chapter 16 in, Serraj, R. and Pingali, P. (eds.) Agriculture and Food Systems to 2050: Global Trends, Challenges and Opportunities. . ISBN: 978-981-3278-34-9.
- Termeer, C., Drimie, S., Ingram, J., Pereira, L. and Whittingham, M.J. (2018) A diagnostic framework for food system governance arrangements: The case of South Africa. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 84: 85-93.
- Zurek, M., Hebinck, A., Leip, A., Vervoort, J., Kuiper, M., Garrone, M., Havlik, P., Heckelei, T., Hornborg, S., Ingram, J., Kuijsten, A., Shutes, L., Geleijnse, J.M., Terluin, I., Veer, P., Wijnands, J., Zimmermann, A. and Achterbosch, T. (2018) Assessing Sustainable Food and Nutrition Security of the EU Food System—An Integrated Approach. Sustainability, 10(11 (4271)).
- Benton, T., Crawford, J., Doherty, B., Fastoso, F., Jimenez, H.G., Ingram, J., Lang, T., Smith, P., Tiffin, R. (2017) British Food: What role should UK producers have in feeding the UK? Morrisons Supermarket.
- Bringezu, S., Clarke, C., Fischer-Kowalski, M., Graedel, T., Hajer, M., Hashimoto, S., Hatfield-Dodds, S., Havlik, P., Hertwich, E., Ingram, J., Kruit, K., Milligan, B., Moriguchi, Y., Nasr, N., Newth, D., Obersteiner, M., Ramaswami, A., Schandl, H., Suh, S., Swilling, M., van der Voe, E., West, J. and Henk, W. (2017) Resource Efficiency: Potential and Economic implications. A report of the International Resource Panel, UNEP, Nairobi.. 1-167.
- Campbell, B.M., Beare, D.J., Bennett, E.M., Hall-Sencer, J.M., Ingram, J.S.I., Jaramillo, F., Ortiz, R., Ramankutty, N., Sayer, J.A. and Shindell, D. (2017) Agriculture production as a major driver of the Earth system exceeding planetary boundaries. Ecology and Society, 22(4:8).
- Ingram, J. (2017) Food system resilience. Food Science and Technology, 31: 21-23.
- Ingram, J. (2017) Interdisciplinary food systems training to address global food challenges. Agriculture for Development, 31.
- Ingram, J. (2017) Perspective: Look Beyond Production. Nature, 544(17).
- Cottee, J., López-Avilés, A., Behzadian, K., Bradley, D., Butler, D., Downing, C., Farmani, R., Ingram, J., Leach, M., Pike, A., De Propris, L., Purvis, L., Robinson, P. and Yang, A. (2016) The Local Nexus Network: Exploring the Future of Localised Food Systems and Associated Energy and Water Supply. In, Setchi, R., Howlett, R.J., Liu, Y. and Theobald, P. (eds.) Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2016. Springer International Publishing. pp. 613-624. ISBN: 978-3-319-32096-0.
- Gustafson, D., Gutman, A., Leet, W., Drwenowski, A., Fanzo, J. and Ingram, J. (2016) Seven Food System Metrics of Sustainable Nutrition Security. Sustainability, 8(3:196).
- Ingram, J. (2016) Sustainable Food Systems for a Healthy World. Sight and Life Magazine, 30(1): 28-33.
- Ingram, J.S.I., Dyball, R., Howden, H., Vermeulen, S., Garnett, T., Redlingshöfer, B., Guilbert, S. and Porter, J.R. (2016) Food Security, Food Systems and Environmental Change. Solutions, May-June: 63-71.
- Westhoek, H., Ingram, J.S.I., Van Berkum, S., Özay, L. and Hajer, M. (2016) Food Systems and Natural Resources. A Report of the Working Group on Food Systems of the International Resource Panel. UNEP Nairobi. ISBN: 978-92-807-3560-4.
- Brown, M.E., Antle, J.M., Backlund, P., Carr, E.R., Easterling, W.E., Walsh, M.K., Ammann, C., Attavanich, W., Barrett, C.B., Bellemare, M.F., Dancheck, V., Funk, C., Grace, K., Ingram, J.S.I., Jiang, H., Maletta, H., Mata, T., Murray, A., Ngugi, M., Ojima, D., O’Neill, B., and Tebaldi., C. (2015) Climate Change, Global Food Security and the U.S. USDA. Washington. 281 pp.
- Fanzo, J.C., Graziose, M.M., Kraemer, K., Gillespie, S., Johnston, J.L., de Pee, S., Monterrosa, E., Badham, J., Bloem, M.W., Dangour, A.D., Deckelbaum, R., Dobermann, A., Fracassi, P., Hossain, S.M., Ingram, J., Jerling, J.C., Jones, J., Jap, S.I., Kiess, L., Marshall, Q., Martin, K., Narayan, A., Amuyumzu-Nayamongo, M., Pepping, F. and West, K.P. (2015) Educating and Training a Workforce for Nutrition in a Post-2015 World. Advances in Nutrition, 6: 639-647.
- Ingram, J.S.I and Porter, J.R. (2015) Plant science and the food security agenda. Nature Plants, 1.
- Coghlan, C., Muzammil, M., Ingram, J., Vervoort, J., Otto, F. and James, R. (2014) A sign of things to come? Examining four major climate-related disasters, 2010-2013 and their impacts on food security. Oxfam Research Reports, Oxford. Oxfam.
- Gregory, P.J. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2014) Food Production and Land Use. Chapter 3 in, Seto, K.C. and Reenberg, A. (eds.) Rethinking Global Land Use in an Urban Era. MIT Press Ltd. pp. 23-34. ISBN: 9780262026901. Strungmann Forum Reports Series..
- Vervoort, J.M., Thornton, P.K., Kristjanson, P., Forch, W., Ericksen, P.J., Kok, K., Ingram, J.S.I., Herrero, M., Palazzo, A., Helfgott, A.E.S., Wilkinson, A., Havlik, P., Mason-D'Croz, D. and Jost, C. (2014) Challenges to scenario-guided adaptive action on food security under climate change. Global Environmental Change, 28: 383-394.
- Ingram, J.S.I., Wright, H., Foster, L., Aldred, T., Barling, D., Benton, T., Berryman, P., Bestwick, C., Bows-Larkin, A., Brocklehurst, T., Buttriss, J., Casey, J., Collins, H., Crossley, D., Dolan, C., Dowler, E., Edwards, R., Finney, K., Fitzpatrick, J., Fowler, M., Garrett, D., Godfrey, J., Godley, A., Griffiths, W., Houlston, E., Kaiser, M., Kennard, R., Knox, J., Kuyk, A., Linter, B., Macdiarmid, J., Martindale, W., Mathers, J., McGonigle, D., Mead, A., Millar, S., Miller, A., Murray, C., Norton, I., Parry, S., Pollicino, M., Quested, T., Tassou, S., Terry, L., Tiffin, R., Graaf, P., Vorley, W., Westby, A. and Sutherland, W. (2013) Priority research questions for the UK food system. Food Security, 5: 617-636.
- Lang, T. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2013) Food security twists and turns: why food systems need complex governance. In, O’Riordan, T. and Lenton, T. (eds.) Addressing Tipping Points for a Precarious Future. The British Academy/OUP.
- Palsson, G., Szerszynski, B., Sörlin, S., Marks, J., Avril, B., Crumley, C., Hackmann, H., Holm, P., Ingram, J.S.I., Kirman, A., Buendía, M.P. and Weehuizen, R. (2013) Reconceptualizing the ‘Anthropos’ in the Anthropocene: Integrating the social sciences and humanities in global environmental change research. Environmental Science and Policy, 28: 3-13.
- Ignaciuk, A., Rice, M., Bogardi, J., Canadell, J., Dhakal, S., Ingram, J., Leemans, R. and Rosenber, M. (2012) Responding to complex societal challenges: A decade of Earth System Science Partnership (ESSP) interdisciplinary research. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4(1): 147-158.
- Misselhorn, A., Aggarwal, P.K., Ericksen, P.J., Gregory, P.J., Horn-Phathanothai, L., Ingram, J.S.I. and Wiebe, K. (2012) A vision for attaining food security. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4: 7-17.
- Vermeulen, S.J., Campbell, B.M. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2012) Climate change and food systems. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 37: 195-222.
- Victoria, R., Banwart, S., Black, H., Ingram, J.S.I., Joosten, H., Milne, E. and Noellemeyer, E. (2012) The Benefits of Soil Carbon. In, UNEP Year Book – Emerging Issues in our Global Environment 2012. . pp. 19-33.
- Drimie, S., Arntzen, J., Dube, P., Ingram, J.S.I., Mano, R.T., Mataya, C., Muchero, M.T., Vhurumuku, E. and Ziervogel, G. (2011) Global environmental change and food systems in southern Africa: the dynamic challenges facing regional policy. Journal of Geography and Regional Planning, 4(4): 169-182.
- Ingram, J.S.I. (2011) A food systems approach to researching interactions between food security and global environmental change. Food Security, 3: 417-431.
- Ingram, J.S.I. (2011) From Food Production to Food Security: Developing interdisciplinary, regional-level research. Wageningen University 152 pp. ISBN: 978-94-6173-002-2.
- Vermeulen, S.J., Aggarwal, P.K., Ainslie, A., Angelone, C., Campbell, B.M., Challinor, A.J., Hansen, J.W., Ingram, J.S.I., Jarvis, A., Kristjanson, P., Lau, C., Nelson, G.C., Thornton, P.K. and Wollenberg, E. (2011) Options for support to agriculture and food security under climate change. Environmental Science and Policy, 15: 136-144.
- Ericksen, P.J., Stewart, B., Dixon, J., Barling, D., Loring, P., Anderson, M. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2010) The value of a food system approach. In, Ingram, J.S.I., Ericksen, P.J. and Liverman, D. (eds.) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan, London.
- Ingram, J. and Izac, A. (2010) Undertaking research at the regional level. In, Ingram, J., Ericksen, P. and Liverman, D. (eds.) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan. 352 pp. ISBN: 9781849711289.
- Ingram, J. and Kapadia, K. (2010) Stakeholders' approaches to regional food security research. In, Ingram, J., Ericksen, P. and Liverman, D. (eds.) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan. 352 pp. ISBN: 9781849711289.
- Ingram, J., Ericksen, P. and Liverman, D. (2010) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan. pp. 352. ISBN: 9781849711289.
- Ingram, J., Holmes, J., Andersson, J., Giller, K., Bammer, G., Brown, M., Henrichs, T., Jones, J.W., Schilpzand, R., Schuttelaar and Partners and Young, J. (2010) Engaging stakeholders at the regional level. In, Ingram, J., Ericksen, P. and Liverman, D. (eds.) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan. 352 pp. ISBN: Earthscan.
- Liverman, D. and Ingram, J. (2010) Why regions? In, Ingram, J., Ericksen, P. and Liverman, D. (eds.) Food Security and Global Environmental Change. Earthscan. 352 pp. ISBN: 9781849711289.
- Ericksen, P.J., Ingram, J.S. and Liverman, D.M. (2009) Food security and global environmental change: emerging challenges. Environmental Science and Policy, 12(4): 373-377.
- Ericksen, P.J., Ingram, J.S.I. and Liverman, D. (2009) Food Security and Environmental Change. Environmental Science and Policy, 12(4). Special issue.
- Gregory, P.J., Johnson, S.N., Newton, A.C. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2009) Integrating pests and pathogens into the climate change/food security debate. The Journal of Experimental Botany, 60: 2827-2838.
- Ingram, J.S.I. (2009) Food system concepts. In, Rabbinge, R. and Linneman, A. (eds.) ESF/COST Forward Look on European Food Systems in a Changing World. European Science Foundation, Strasbourg.
- Leemans, R., Asrar, G., Busalacchi, A., Canadell, J., Ingram, J., Larigauderie, A., Mooney, H., Nobre, C., Patwardhan, A., Rice, M., Schmidt, F., Seitzinger, S., Virji, H., Vorosmarty, C. and Young, O. (2009) Developing a common strategy for integrative global environmental change research and outreach: the Earth System Science Partnership (ESSP). Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 1: 1-10.
- Gregory, P.J. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2008) Climate Change and the current “Food Crisis”. CAB Reviews: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences, Nutrition and Natural Resources, 3(99): 1-10.
- Ingram, J.S.I., Gregory, P.J. and Izac, A.M. (2008) The role of agronomic research in climate change and food security policy. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 126(1): 4-12.
- Ingram, J., Stone, J., Confalonieri, U., Garvin, T., Jutro, P. R., Clink, C. A., Luckman, B. H., Noellemeyer, E. and Toledo, P. M. (2007) Delivering Global Environmental Change Science to the Policy Process. In, Tiessen, H. and Brklacich, M. and Breulmann, G. and Menezes, R. (eds.) Communicating global change science to society: an assessment and case studies. Island Press. pp. 35-44. ISBN: 9781597261777.
- Ingram, J.S.I. (2006) GECAFS Southern Africa Science Plan and Implementation Strategy. GECAFS Report 3. Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH), Wallingford, UK. 38 pp.
- Ingram, J.S.I. and Brklacich, M. (2006) Global environmental change and food systems. Earth System Science in the Anthroposcene. Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 217-228.
- Gregory, P.J., Ingram, J.S.I. and Brklacich, M. (2005) Climate change and food security. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 360(1463): 2139-2148.
- Ingram, J.S.I., Gregory, P.J. and Brklacich, M. (2005) GECAFS Science Plan and Implementation Strategy. ESSP Report 2. Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH), Wallingford, UK. 36 pp.
- Aggarwal, P.K., Joshi, P.K., Ingram, J.S.I. and Gupta, R.K. (2004) Adapting Food Systems of the Indo-Gangetic Plains to Global Environmental Change: Key Information Needs to Improve Policy Formulation. Environmental Science and Policy, 7: 487-498.
- Ingram, J.S.I., Fernandes, E.C.M. (2001) Managing carbon sequestration in soils: concepts and terminology. Agriculture, ecosystems and environment, 87(1): 111-117.
- Gregory, P.J. and Ingram, J.S.I (2000) Food and Forestry: Global Change and Global Challenges. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment (Special Issue)(82): 1-394.
- Gregory, P.J. and Ingram, J.S.I. (2000) Global change and food and forest production: future scientific challenges. Agriculture, ecosystems & environment, 82(1-3): 3-14.
- Ingram, J. and WALL FRECKMAN, D. (1998) Soil biota and global changePreface. Global Change Biology, 4(7): 699-701.
- Sutherst, R.W., Ingram, J.S.I. and Scherm, H. (1998) Global change and vector-borne diseases. Parasitology Today, 14(8): 297-299.
- Young, I.M., Blanchart, E., Chenu, C., Dangerfield, M., Fragoso, C., Grimaldi, M., Ingram, J. and Monrozier, L.J. (1998) The interaction of soil biota and soil structure under global change. Global Change Biology, 4(7): 703-712.