Since our inception in 1991, we have helped governments, business and communities anticipate and respond to the risks of environmental change. We have an international track record for research in climate, ecosystems and energy and a growing expertise in the fields of food, water and health.
We respond to the challenges through an interdisciplinary and integrated programme: understanding processes of change, exploring sustainable solutions, and influencing change through education and partnership.
- We advance understanding of the processes and implications of change in coupled human and natural systems.
- We develop and analyse potential economic and social responses, policies and management practices of relevance to governments, business and communities.
- We lead and engage in large national and international consortia with research and stakeholder partners.
- We train international graduate students in strategic environmental leadership, management and decision-making.
- We commit significant resources to active engagement with a wide range of key audiences, including dissemination of our research insights.
Understanding processes of change
- We advance understanding of the processes of change in complex human and natural systems. Our work provides insights into the implications of unmitigated change and evidence upon which to base the evaluation of possible responses. We seek to understand the interdependence of these processes of change, from local to global scales.
Exploring sustainable solutions
Our work focuses on proposing and understanding potential responses to environmental change. This process takes differing forms to provide decision-makers, policymakers, businesses and communities with the evidence needed to identify, implement and manage sustainable systems.
Influencing change through education and partnership
Graduates of our popular MSc in Environmental Change and Management course hold positions of responsibility in environmental management throughout the world. Most of our research projects are conducted in collaboration with stakeholders in government, industry and communities. We lead and facilitate networks of knowledge exchange locally, nationally and globally.