Dr Steven Lord
Trained in the field of noncommutative geometry in pure mathematics, and co-author of the first monograph on the topic of singular traces, Steven decided in 2008 to start use the power of mathematics for good. Unlikely in his lifetime to see the affect singular traces may have on increasing the wellbeing of the human species, he branched into applied mathematical and statistical methods useful in complex decision making; learning risk analysis, robust decision making, stochastic processes, extreme value theory, maximal entropy and probability theory, scenario methodologies, multi-criteria optimisation, and machine learning. From 2010 to 2015 he was responsible for leading quantitative research and applications in the multi-disciplinary Strategic Security Risk Analysis group in the Australian Department of Defence. The group provided advice, modelling and analysis on risk management, risk assessment, future scenarios, and resilience to senior decision-makers in Australian Commonwealth Government within the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and the Attorney-General’s Department. In 2013 Steven developed the OLDFAR future scenarios tool for the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Adelaide and the Environmental Change Institute (ECI) at the University of Oxford. The method and GUI software tool was used subsequently by the ECI-CCAFS exploratory futures regional scenario team in workshops worldwide.
The research position works in the EU FP7 program TRANSMANGO, concerning European food and nutrition security futures and policy transition pathways, http://www.transmango.eu/. The TRANSMANGO project includes development of multi-factor multi-sector scenarios and advancing system modelling and uncertainty representation of European food and nutrition security vulnerabilities.
Steven is also involved in development and interdisciplinary community building in complex and multi-scale modelling of food systems. Food systems are highly complex, involving individual and social behaviours, environmental drivers, micro and macro scale economics, heavy water and energy use, manufacturing and employment sectors, public safety and health, inequality and demographics, etc.
- Wiebe, K., Zurek, M., Lord, S., Brzezina, N., Gabrielyan, G., Libertini, J., Loch, A., Thapa-Parajuli, R., Vervoort, J. and Westhoek, H. (2018) Scenario Development and Foresight Analysis: Exploring Options to Inform Choices. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 43: 545-570.
- Mason-D'Croz, D., Vervoort, J., Palazzo, A., Islam, S., Lord, S., Helfgott, A., Havlík, P., Peou, R., Sassen, M., Veeger, M., van Soesbergen, A., Arnell, A.P., Stuch, B., Arslan, A. and Lipper, L. (2016) Multi-factor, multi-state, multi-model scenarios: Exploring food and climate futures for Southeast Asia. Environmental Modelling and Software, 83: 255-270.
- Rick Nunes-Vaz, Steven Lord, Daniel Bilusich. From Strategic Security Risks to National Capability Priorities. Security Challenges 10(3) (2014) 23-49
- Rick Nunes-Vaz, Steven Lord. Designing physical security for complex infrastructures. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection, (2014), doi: 10.1016/j.ijcip.2014.06.003
- Daniel Bilusich, Steven Lord, Rick Nunes-Vaz. The implications of empirical data for risk. Journal of Risk Research, (2014), doi:10.1080/13669877.2014.910682
- Steven Lord, Fedor Sukochev, Dmitriy Zanin. Singular traces: theory and applications. De Gruyter Studies in Mathematics 46. De Gruyter, Berlin, 2013. ISBN 978-3-11-026255-1
- Steven Lord, Rick Nunes-Vaz. Designing and evaluating layered security. International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management 17(1) (2013) 19-45, doi:10.1504/IJRAM.2013.054377
- Steven Lord, Adam Rennie, Joseph Varilly. Riemannian manifolds in noncommutative geometry. Journal of geometry and physics 62(7) (2012) 1611-1639, doi:10.1016/j.geomphys.2012.03.004
- Rick Nunes-Vaz, Steven Lord, Jolanta Ciuk. A More Rigorous Framework for Security-in-Depth. Journal of Applied Security Research 6(3) (2011), 372—393
- Steven Lord, Fedor A. Sukochev. Noncommutative residues and a characterisation of the noncommutative integral. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 139(1) (2011), 243—257, doi:10.1090/S0002-9939-2010-10472-0
- Steven Lord, Fedor Sukochev. Measure theory in noncommutative spaces. SIGMA 6 (2010), 072, 36 pages, doi:10.3842/SIGMA.2010.072
- Steven Lord, Rick Nunes-Vaz, Alexei Filinkov, Glenis Crane. Airport front-of-house vulnerabilities and mitigation options. J. Transp. Sec. 3(3) (2010), 149—177, doi: 10.1007/s12198-010-0045-0
- Steven Lord, Denis Potapov, Fedor Sukochev. Measures from Dixmier traces and zeta functions. J. Funct. Anal. 259 (2010), 1915—1949, doi:10.1016/j.jfa.2010.06.012