Dr Steven Lord
Researcher European Food Futures and Leader of the FoodSIVI Project
Steven trained in the field of noncommutative geometry in pure mathematics before branching into applied mathematical and statistical methods useful in complex decision making.
From 2010 to 2015 he was responsible for leading quantitative research and applications at the Australian Department of Defence as part of a multi-disciplinary group providing advice, modelling and analysis on risk management, risk assessment, future scenarios, and resilience to senior decision-makers in Australian Commonwealth Government.
Since 2016 he has worked on food system and economic modelling for sustainability, risk and resilience within the Food System Transformation Group, fostering a broad range of international collaborations. In 2017 he launched FoodSIVI with Jason Czarnezki following a series of workshops.
He has been a highly cited researcher for Futures, Advances in Mathematics, and Environmental Modelling & Software. His modelling interests and present projects include dynamic equilibrium modelling with joint stochasticity in oil prices and shocks to corn yield, cost-modelling of global food system externalities, and machine-learning time series analysis of Sub-Sahara Africa food insecurity.
Steven's research interests are divided between research into social and abatement costing of food system impact, pure mathematics, and food systems modelling.
- Lord, S., Sukochev, F. and Zanin, D. (2020) A last theorem of Kalton and finiteness of Connes' integral. Journal of Functional Analysis, 279(7). 108664.
- Lord, S., Sukochev, F.A. and Zanin, D. (2019) Advances in Dixmier traces and applications. In, Chamseddine, A., Consani, C., Higson, N., Khalkhali, M., Moscovici, H. and Yu, G. (eds.) Advances in Noncommutative Geometry. Springer, Cham.
- Bilusich, D.,Chim, R.L. and Lord, S. (2018) There is no single solution to the 'insider' problem but there is a valuable way forward. WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences, 121: 135-146.
- Fiedler, K., Lord, S. and Czarnezki, J.J. (2018) Life Cycle Costing and Food Systems: Concepts, Trends, and Challenges of Impact Valuation. Michigan Journal of Environmental and Administrative Law, 8(1).
- Wiebe, K., Zurek, M., Lord, S., Brzezina, N., Gabrielyan, G., Libertini, J., Loch, A., Thapa-Parajuli, R., Vervoort, J. and Westhoek, H. (2018) Scenario Development and Foresight Analysis: Exploring Options to Inform Choices. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 43: 545-570.
- Chim, L., Bilusich, D., Lord, S. and Nunes-Vaz, R. (2017) A Risk-based Layered Defence for Managing the Trusted Insider Threat. Journal of Information System Security, 13(3).
- Lord, S., McDonald, E., Sukochev, F., Zanin, D. (2017) Quantum differentiability of essentially bounded functions on Euclidean space. Journal of Functional Analysis: 1-35.
- Lord, S., Helfgott, A. and Vervoort, J.M. (2016) Choosing diverse sets of plausible scenarios in multidimensional exploratory futures techniques. Futures, 77: 11-27.
- Mason-D'Croz, D., Vervoort, J., Palazzo, A., Islam, S., Lord, S., Helfgott, A., Havlík, P., Peou, R., Sassen, M., Veeger, M., van Soesbergen, A., Arnell, A.P., Stuch, B., Arslan, A. and Lipper, L. (2016) Multi-factor, multi-state, multi-model scenarios: Exploring food and climate futures for Southeast Asia. Environmental Modelling and Software, 83: 255-270.
- Nunes-Vaz, R. and Lord, S. (2014) Designing physical security for complex infrastructures. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection, 7(3): 178-192.
- Nunes-Vaz, R., Lord, S. and Bilusich, D. (2014) From Strategic Security Risks to National Capability Priorities. Security Challenges, 10(3): 23-49.
- Bilusich, D., Lord, S. and Nunes-Vaz, R. (2014) The implications of empirical data for risk. Journal of Risk Research, 18(4): 521-538.
- Lord, S. and Nunes-Vaz, R. (2013) Designing and evaluating layered security. International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 17(1): 19-45.
- Kalton, N., Lord, S., Potapov, S. and Sukochev, F. (2013) Traces of compact operators and the noncommutative residue. Advances in Mathematics, 235: 1-55.
- Lord, S., Sukochev, F. and Zanin, D. (2012) Singular Traces: theory and applications. De Gruyter Studies in Mathematics 46. De Gruyter, Berlin. ISBN 978-3-11-026255-1
- Lord, S., Rennie, A. and Varilly, J. (2012) Riemannian manifolds in noncommutative geometry. Journal of Geometry and Physics, 62(7): 1611-1639.
- Nunes-Vaz, R., Lord, S. and Ciuk, J. (2011) A More Rigorous Framework for Security-in-Depth. Journal of Applied Security Research, 6(3): 372-393.
- Lord, S. and Sukochev, F.A. (2011) Noncommutative residues and a characterisation of the noncommutative integral. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 139(1): 243-257.
- Lord, S., Nunes-Vaz, R., Filinkov, A. and Crane, G. (2010) Airport front-of-house vulnerabilities and mitigation options. Journal of Transportation Security, 3(3): 149-177.
- Lord, S. and Sukochev, F. (2010) Measure theory in noncommutative spaces. SIGMA, 6: 072.
- Lord, S., Potapov, D. and Sukochev, F. (2010) Measures from Dixmier traces and zeta functions. Journal of Functional Analysis, 259(8): 1915-1949.