Dr Raghav Pant
Senior Research Associate
Dr. Raghav Pant is a senior post-doctoral researcher at the Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford. He holds a Bachelors in Technology in Civil Engineering for Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur, a MSc in Civil and Environment Engineering from Princeton University, and a PhD in Industrial Engineering for University of Oklahoma. Dr. Pant leads the risk and resilience analysis research teams as part of the EPSRC funded Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium. His analysis of failure criticality of Great Britain’s (GB) national infrastructure networks, undertaken in collaboration with Infrastructure UK in the Treasury, has attracted sustained attention from government and industry. He has also led novel work on creating design guidance on interdependent infrastructure risk assessment due to climate change, for UK’s forthcoming £55 billion investment on the High Speed Two railway. He has worked with a range of organizations in the United Kingdom (UK) such as, among others, Environment Agency, Department for Transport, ARUP, CH2M, Scottish Water, HR Wallingford, and JBA Group to enable stakeholders to better understand interdependent infrastructure networks and their risks due to extreme weather and climate impacts. Dr. Pant’s research has been used and cited in UK’s 2017 Climate Change Risk Assessment. He is now working with organizations such as The World Bank to understand transport infrastructure risks in The United Republic of Tanzania, Vietnam and Argentina. His research paper on vulnerability assessment of GB’s railway infrastructure has been awarded the 2016 Lloyds Science of Risk Prize in Systems Modelling.
- Adshead, D., Thacker, S., Fuldauer, L.I., Gall, S.S., Chow, N., Pant, R., Russell, T., Bajpai, A., Morgan, G., Bhikhoo, N., Boroto, D., Palmer, R., Cançado, D., Jain, N., Klöttschen, V., Lawal, H., Dery, P., Twum, E., Mohammed, G., Hall, J.W. and Agbesi, L. (2022) Ghana: Roadmap for resilient infrastructure in a changing climate. Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation, Accra, Ghana.
- Ilalokhoin, O., Pant, R. and Hall, J.W. (2021) A multi-track rail model for estimating journey impacts from extreme weather events: a case study of Great Britain's rail network. International Journal of Rail Transportation: 1-26.
- Kesete, Y.Y., Raffo, V., Pant, R., Koks, E.E., Paltan, H., Russell, T. and Hall, J.W. (2021) Climate Change Risk Analysis of Argentina's Land Transport Network. World Bank Group
- Paltán, H.A., Pant, R., Braeckman, J.P. and Dadson, S.J. (2021) Increased Water Risks to Global Hydropower in 1.5° C and 2.0° C warmer worlds. Journal of Hydrology, 599. 126503.
- Zorn, C., Pant, R., Thacker, S., Andreae, L. and Shamseldin, A.Y. (2021) Quantifying system-level dependencies between connected electricity and transport infrastructure networks incorporating expert judgement. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems: 1-21.
- Darayi, M., Pant, R., Barker, K. and Morshedlou, N. (2020) Investing in absorptive capacity in interdependent infrastructure and industry sectors. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 26(1). 04019032.
- Oh, J.E., Espinet Alegre, X., Pant, R., Koks, E.E., Russell, T., Schoenmakers, R. and Hall, J.W. (2020) Addressing Climate Change in Transport: Volume 2: Pathway to Resilient Transport. World Bank, Washington DC.
- Pant, R., Russell, T., Zorn, C., Oughton, E. and Hall, J.W. (2020) Resilience study research for NIC - Systems analysis of interdependent network vulnerabilities. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford University, UK.
- Zorn, C., Pant, R., Thacker, S. and Shamseldin, A.Y. (2020) Evaluating the magnitude and spatial extent of disruptions across interdependent national infrastructure networks. ASME J. Risk Uncertainty Part B, 6(2). 020904.
- Hall, J.W., et al. (2019) Adaptation of Infrastructure Systems: Background Paper for the Global Commission on Adaptation. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford.
- Hu, X., Pant, R., Hall, J.W., Surminski, S. and Huang, J. (2019) Multi-Scale Assessment of the Economic Impacts of Flooding: Evidence from Firm to Macro-Level Analysis in the Chinese Manufacturing Sector. Sustainability, 11(7).
- Hu, X., Pant, R., Zorn, C., Lim, W., Koks, E., Mao, Z. (2019) Methodology and Findings for the Exposure Analysis of the Chinese Wastewater Sector to Flooding and Earthquakes Hazards (English). Policy Research working paper, WPS 8903.
- Koks, E., Pant, R., Husby, T., Többen, J., and Oosterhaven, J. (2019) Multiregional Disaster Impact Models: Recent Advances and Comparison of Outcomes. In, Okuyama Y. and Rose A. (eds.) https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16237-5_8. Springer. ISBN: 978-3-030-16236-8.
- Koks, E., Pant, R., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Understanding business disruption and economic losses due to electricity failures and flooding. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science: 1-18.
- Lamb, R., Garside, P., Pant, R. and Hall, J.W. (2019) A Probabilistic Model of the Economic Risk to Britain's Railway Network from Bridge Scour During Floods. Risk Analysis.
- Oughton, E.J., Ralph, D., Pant, R., Leverett, E., Copic, J., Thacker, S., Dada, R., Ruffle, S., Tuveson, M. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Stochastic counterfactual risk analysis for the vulnerability assessment of cyber-physical attacks on electricity distribution infrastructure networks. Risk Analysis, 39(9): 2012-2031.
- Pant, R., Zorn, C., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2018) Systemic Resilience Metrics for Interdependent Infrastrucutre Networks. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Reliability Engineering and Risk Management (6ISRERM) 31 May - 1 June 2018, Singapore.
- Zorn, C., Davies, A., Robinson, T., Pant, R., Wotherspoon, L., and Thacker, S. (2018) Infrastructure failure propagations and recovery strategies from an alpine fault earthquake scenario. 16th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering.. 1-12.
- Hickford, A., Blainey, S., Ortego, H. and Pant, R. (2017) A Review of Resilience in Interdependent Transport, Energy and Water Systems. Agenda setting scoping studies summary report. ARUP, UK
- Hu, X., Lim, W.H., Pant, R., Hall, J. and Xi, L. (2017) The Spatial Exposure of China’s Infrastructure System to Flooding Risks in the Context of Climate Change. Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP), GGKP Annual Conference, November 27-28, Washington DC, US.
- Hu, X., Lim, W.H., Pant, R., Hall, J., and Lu, X. (2017) The spatial exposure of China’s infrastructure system to flooding risks in the context of climate change. The Fifth Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP) Annual Conference, World Bank
- Paltan, H., Waliser, D., Lim, W.H., Guan, B., Yamazaki, D., Pant, R. and Dadson, S. (2017) Global Floods and Water Availability Driven by Atmospheric Rivers. Geophysical Research Letters.
- Pant, R., Hall, J.W., Thacker, S., Barr, S. and Alderson, D. (2017) National scale risk analysis of interdependent infrastructure network failures due to extreme hazards. ITRC working paper series Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford, UK.
- Pant, R., Thacker, S. and Hall, J. (2017) System-of-systems Framework for Global Infrastructure Vulnerability Assessments. GGKP Annual Conference, November 27-28, Washington DC, US.
- Pant, R., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W. and Alderson, D. (2017) Critical infrastructure impact assessment due to flood exposure. Journal of Flood Risk Management.
- Thacker, S., Barr, S., Pant, R., Hall, J.W. and Alderson, D. (2017) Geographic Hotspots of Critical National Infrastructure. Risk Analysis.
- Thacker, S., Hall, J.W. and Pant, R. (2017) Preserving Key Topological and Structural Features in the Synthesis of Multilevel Electricity Networks for Modeling of Resilience and Risk. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 24(1).
- Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Russell, T., Pant, R., Leung, J. and Koks, E. (2017) System-of-systems infrastructure modelling to support national sustainable development outcomes. Proceedings of the 2017 International Symposium of Next Generation Infrastructure, London, UK
- Thacker, S., Kelly, S., Pant, R., Hall, J.W., (2017) Evaluating the Benefits of Adaptation of Critical Infrastructures to Hydrometeorological Risks. Society for Risk Analysis.
- Thacker, S., Pant, R., Hall, J.W. (2017) System-of-Systems Formulation and Disruption Analysis for Multi-Scale Critical National Infrastructures. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 167: 30-41.
- Kelly, S., Leverett, E., Oughton, E.J., Copic, J., Thacker, S., Pant, R., Pryor, L., Kassara, G., Evan, T., Ruffle, S.J., Tuveson, M., Coburn, A.W., Ralph, D. and Hall, J.W. (2016) Integrated Infrastructure: Cyber Resiliency in Society, Mapping the Consequences of an Interconnected Digital Economy. Cambridge Risk Framework series Centre for Risk Studies, University of Cambridge
- Lamb, R., Pant, R. and Hall, J. (2016) Towards a whole-network risk assessment for railway bridge failures caused by scour during flood events. E3S Web of Conferences, 7 3rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016).
- Pant, R., Hall, J.W. and Blainey, S.P. (2016) Vulnerability assessment framework for interdependent critical infrastructures: case-study for Great Britain's railway network. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, 16(1): 174-194.
- Pant, R., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Alderson, D. and Barr, S. (2016) Critical infrastructure impact assessment due to flood exposure. Journal of Flood Risk Management.
- Pant, R., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Alderson, D., Barr, S. and Kelly, S. (2016) Analysing the risks of failure in interdependent infrastructure networks. In, Hall, J.W., Tran, M., Hickford, A.J. and Nicholls, R.J. (eds.) The future of national infrastructure: a system-of-systems approach. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. pp. 241-267.
- Pant, R. and Trafalis, T.B. (2015) SVM Classification of Uncertain Data Using Robust Multi-Kernel Methods. Optimization, Control and Applications in the Information Age, 130: 261-273.
- Pant, R., Barker, K. and Landers, T.L. (2015) Dynamic impacts of commodity flow disruptions in inland waterway networks. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 89: 137-149.
- Pant, R., Hall, J.W., Blainey, S.P. and Preston, J.M. (2015) Assessing single point criticality of multi-modal transport networks at the national scale..
- Barr, S., Alderson, D., Robson, C., Otto, A., Hall, J.W., Thacker, S. and Pant, R. (2014) Building interdependent infrastructure networks and customer assignment models for understanding spatial demands. Proceedings of the 2014 conference on The Future of National Infrastructure Systems and Economic Prosperity, University of Cambridge, UK
- Pant, R., Barker, K. and Zobel, C.W. (2014) Static and dynamic metrics of economic resilience for interdependent infrastructure and industry sectors. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 125: 92-102.
- Pant, R., Barker, K., Ramirez-Marquez, J.E. and Rocco, C.M. (2014) Stochastic Measures of resilience and their application to container terminals. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 70(1).
- Pant, R., Blainey, S.P., Hall, J.W. and Preston, J.M. (2014) Assessing Risks to inform Resilience: A Criticality Assessment of the British Railway Network. In Proceedings of International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructures, Vienna.
- Pant, R., Hall, J.W., Barr, S. and Alderson, D. (2014) Spatial Risk Analysis of Interdependent Infrastructure Networks Subjected to Extreme Hazards. Vulnerability, Uncertainty and Risk: 677-686.
- Thacker, S., Pant, R. and Hall, J.W. (2014) Characterizing the Vulnerability of Future Configurations of Great Britain’s Electricity Network Infrastructure to Climate-related Hazards. Vulnerability, Uncertainty and Risk: 648-657.
- Barr, S., Alderson, D., Robson, C., Otto, A., Hall, J.W., Thacker, S. and Pant, R. (2013) A National Scale Infrastructure Database and Modelling Environment for the UK. In: Campbell P. and Perez P. (Eds), Proceedings of the International Symposium of Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, Australia.
- Pant, R., Barker, K. and Zobel, C.W. (2013) Adaptive Economic Resilience Planning for Infrastructure and Industry Sectors with Multiple Shocks. In Safety, Reliability, Risk and Life-cycle Performance of Structures and Infrastructures - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability, ICOSSAR 2013.. 5485-5492.
- Pant, R., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Barr, S. and Alderson, D. (2013) Analyzing interdependent infrastructure provisions under extreme climate risks. In: Campbell P. and Perez P. (Eds), Proceedings of the International Symposium of Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, Australia.