Dr Jack Longman
I have a BSc in geology form the University of Durham, and an MSc in Oceanography from the University of Southampton. After a couple of years in industrial science, I completed a PhD at the University of Northumbria, Newcastle. Prior to joining the department, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton.
I am interested in the application of geochemical methods to a wide variety of environmental issues. Chief among these is the reconstruction of historical pollution using peat bogs as archives of atmospheric deposition. Also using peat bogs, I am interested in their potential use as archives of climatic change. More recently, I have begun investigating how the carbon cycle, and associated climatic changes, may be related to volcanism.
I am in charge of the new ICP-MS system, recently installed in the Geolabs.
- Longman, J., Palmer, M.R., Gernon, T.M. and Manners, H.R. (2019) The role of tephra in enhancing organic carbon preservation in marine sediments. Earth-Science Reviews.
- Longman, J., Veres, D., Ersek, V., Haliuc, A. and Wennrich, V. (2019) Runoff events and related rainfall variability in the Southern Carpathians during the last 2000 years. Scientific Reports, 9.
- Antohi-Trandafir, O., Timar-Gabor, A., Vulpoi, A., Balc, R., Longman, J., Veres, D. and Simon, S. (2018) Luminescence properties of natural muscovite relevant to optical dating of contaminated quartz samples. Radiation Measurements, 109: 1-7.
- Longman, J. Veres, D. Finsinger, W. and Ersek, V. (2018) Exceptionally high levels of lead pollution in the Balkans from the Early Bronze Age to the Industrial Revolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 201721546.
- Longman, J., Veres, D. and Wennrich, V. (2018) Utilisation of XRF core scanning on peat and other highly organic sediments. Quaternary International.
- Longman, J., Veres, D., Ersek, V., Phillips, D.L., Chauvel, C. and Tamas, C.G. (2018) Quantitative assessment of Pb sources in isotopic mixtures using a Bayesian mixing model. Scientific Reports, 8(6154).
- Longman, H., Ersek, V., Veres, D. and Salzmann, U. (2017) Detrital events and hydroclimate variability in the Romanian Carpathians during the mid-to-late Holocene. Quaternary Science Reviews, 167: 78-95.
- Longman, J., Veres, D., Ersek, V., Salzmann, U., Hubay, K., Bormann, M., Wenrich, V. and Schabitz, F. (2017) Periodic input of dust over the Eastern Carpathians during the Holocene linked with Saharan desertification and human impact. 10.5194/cp-13-897-2017, 13: 897-917.