Honorary Research Associate
Edoardo’s work focuses upon the engineering and policy dimensions of risk management, in particular relating to climate change adaptation, infrastructure planning and water resources management. Edoardo has consulted for the World Bank and for the International Water Management Institute, offering technical support on water sector issues to government agencies in Brazil, Perú, Pakistan and across the Middle East and North Africa. He has also assisted water utilities and regulators in England in their efforts to include climate change in their long-range plans. Edoardo’s work experience also includes working as a research associate for REACH –Improving Water Security for the Poor in Bangladesh and Ethiopia, as a senior editor for the Global Water Forum, and as a researcher at the International Institute for Applied System Analysis and Imaflora
Trained in earth science and engineering, Edoardo holds an undergraduate degree from Imperial College London and a DPhil from the Environmental Change Institute 'Water resources and climate change: risk-based approaches for decision-making'. The DPhil was funded by Thames Water and the Environment Agency (science project SC120053). In 2018 he shared the Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (8th award) with Professor Jim Hall for their work on water resources planning in times of climate change. His research work has been covered by The Guardian, The Conversation and La Repubblica.
For a metric-based list of publications, see Edoardo's Google Scholar page.
- Borgomeo, E., Al-Mudaffar Fawzi, N., Hall, J.W., Jagerskog, A., Nicol, A., Sadoff, C.W., Maher, S., Santos, N. and Talhami, M. (2020) Tackling the trickle: ensuring sustainable water management in the Arab region. Earth's Future, 8(5). e2020EF001495.
- Grafton, R.Q., Doyen, L., Béné, C. et al. (2019) Realizing resilience for decision-making. Nature Sustainability, 2: 907-913.
- Hall, J.W., Borgomeo, E., Bruce, A., di Mauro, M. and Mortazavi-Naeini, M. (2019) Resilience of water resource systems: lessons from the UK. Water Security, 8. 100052.
- Hall, J.W., Mortazavi-Naeini, M., Borgomeo, E., Baker, B., Gavin, H., Gough, M., Harou, J., Hunt, D., Lambert, C., Piper, B., Richardson, N. and Watts, G. (2019) Risk‐based water resources planning in practice: a blueprint for the water industry in England. Water and Environment Journal: 1-14.
- Barbour, E., Hall, J.W., Adnan, M.S.G., Khan, M.S.A., Rahman, M.M., Hoque, S., Salehin, M. and Borgomeo, E. (2018) Investing in the Coastal Poor: Societal Trade-offs for Water Security Infrastructure. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2018.
- Beven, K.J., Almeida, S., Aspinall, W.P., Bates, P.D., Blazkova, S., Borgomeo, E., Freer, J., Goda, K., Hall, J.W., Phillips, J.C., Simpson, M., Smith, P.J., Stephenson, D.B., Wagener, T., Watson, M. and Wilkins, K.L. (2018) Epistemic uncertainties and natural hazard risk assessment – Part 1: A review of different natural hazard areas. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 18: 2741-2768.
- Beven, K.J., Aspinall, W.P., Bates, P.D., Borgomeo, E., Goda, K., Hall, J.W., Page, T., Phillips, J.C., Simpson, M., Smith, P.J., Wagener, T. and Watson, M. (2018) Epistemic uncertainties and natural hazard risk assessment – Part 2: What should constitute good practice? Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 18(10): 2769-2783.
- Borgomeo, E., Mortazavi-Naeini, M., Hall, J.W. and Guillod, B.P. (2018) Risk, Robustness and Water Resources Management under Uncertainty. Earth's Future, 6(3): 468-487.
- Borgomeo, E., Vadheim, B., Woldeyes, F.B., Alamirew, R., Tamru, S., Charles, K.J., Kebede, S. and Walker, O. (2018) The Distributional and Multi-Sectoral Impacts of Rainfall Shocks: Evidence From Computable General Equilibrium Modelling for the Awash Basin, Ethiopia. Ecological Economics, April 2018: 621-632.
- Borgomeo, E., Hall, J.W. and Salehin, M. (2017) Avoiding the water-poverty trap: insights from a conceptual human-water dynamical model for coastal Bangladesh. Journal International Journal of Water Resources Development: 1-23.
- Schinko, T., Borgomeo, E., Dufva, M., Figge, L. and Schipfer, F. (2017) Re-shaping Sustainability Science for the 21st Century: Young Scientists’ Perspectives. IIASA Working Paper.
- Borgomeo, E., Mortazavi-Naeini, M., Hall, J.W., O'Sullivan, M.J. and Watson, T. (2016) Trading-off tolerable risk with climate change adaptation costs in water supply systems. Water Resources Research, 52: 622-643.
- Kingsborough, A., Borgomeo, E. and Hall, J. (2016) Adaptation pathways in practice: Mapping options and trade-offs for London’s water resources. Sustainable Cities and Society, 27: 386-397.
- Simpson, M., James, R., Hall, J.W., Borgomeo, E., Ives, M.C., Almeida, S., Kingsborough, A., Economou, T., Stephenson, D. and Wagener, T. (2016) Decision Analysis for Management of Natural Hazards. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 41: 489-516.
Borgomeo, E., Farmer, C.L. and Hall, J.W., 2015. Numerical rivers: A synthetic streamflow generator for water resources vulnerability assessments. Water Resources Research, 51(7), pp.5382-5405.
Borgomeo, E., Pflug, G., Hall, J.W. and Hochrainer‐Stigler, S., 2015. Assessing water resource system vulnerability to unprecedented hydrological drought using copulas to characterize drought duration and deficit. Water resources research, 51(11), pp.8927-8948.
Hardt, E., Borgomeo, E., dos Santos, R.F., Pinto, L.F.G., Metzger, J.P. and Sparovek, G., 2015. Does certification improve biodiversity conservation in Brazilian coffee farms?. Forest Ecology and Management, 357, pp.181-194.
Borgomeo, E., Hall, J.W., Fung, F., Watts, G., Colquhoun, K. and Lambert, C., 2014. Risk‐based water resources planning: Incorporating probabilistic nonstationary climate uncertainties. Water Resources Research, 50(8), pp.6850-6873.
Borgomeo, E., Hebditch, K.V., Whittaker, A.C. and Lonergan, L., 2014. Characterising the spatial distribution, frequency and geomorphic controls on landslide occurrence, Molise, Italy. Geomorphology, 226, pp.148-161.
Borgomeo, E. and Hall, J.W., 2014. A risk-based framework for water planning under non-stationary climate change. In Vulnerability, Uncertainty, and Risk: Quantification, Mitigation, and Management (pp. 1986-1993)
Hall, J. and Borgomeo, E., 2013. Risk-based principles for defining and managing water security. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 371(2002), p.20120407.