ECI’s water programme addresses the risks of water insecurity at river basin to global scales. We research water scarcity, floods and their impacts on ecosystems, society and the economy. Our work spans analysis of the climatic drivers of water-related risks, impacts and adaptation responses, and the governance of water systems.
Risks of Floods and Droughts
The ECI is developing risk based approaches to the management of water security events such as floods, scarcity and water quality. Professor Jim Hall also co-chair's the Global Task Force on Water Security and Sustainable Growth.
Led by Jim Hall
Water Resource Stewardship
Sustainable management of water resources is one of the focal points of the Oxford Martin Programme on Resource Stewardship.
Oxford Impacts case study
Calculating the risks of coastal flooding and cliff erosion.
New insights could bring a step change in our understanding and management of the coast.
- Penning-Rowsell, E., Sayers, P.B. and Watkinson, A. (2014) Innovation: Managing Risk, Not Avoiding It. Evidence and Case Studies: High level case study: Flooding. In, Contribution to the Annual Report of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser 2014. by Government Office for Science, UK.
- Penning-Rowsell, E., Sayers, P.B. and Watkinson, A. (2014) Innovation: Managing Risk, Not Avoiding It. Evidence and Case Studies: High level case study: Flooding. In, Annual Report of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser 2014. Government Office for Science, UK.
- Sadoff, C. and Grey, D. (2014) Beyond the River: The Benefits of Cooperation on International Rivers. Ch. 29 in, Jägerskog, A., Swain, A. and Öjendal, J. (eds.) Water Security, Vol. 2: Water Wars and Water Co-operation. SAGE Publications Ltd. pp. 241-258. ISBN: 9781446293928. Sage Library of International Security Series..
- Garrick, D. and Hall, J.W. (2014) Water Security and Society: Risks, Metrics and Pathways. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 39: 611-639.
- Payo, A., Hall, J.W., Dickson, M.E. and Walkden, J.A. (2014) Feedback structure of cliff and shore platform morphodynamics. Journal of Coastal Conservation, October 2014.
- Hall, J.W. (2014) Editorial: steps towards global flood risk modelling. Journal of Flood Risk Management, 7(3): 193-194.
- O'Connell, P.E. and Hall, J.W. (2014) After the 2014 floods: The future management of flood risk. Ingenia, 59(Jun 2014).
Professor Jim Hall
Director of the ECI, Professor of Climate and Environmental Risks
Dr Helen Gavin
Project Manager: MARIUS project
Dr Michael Gilmont
Research Fellow in Global Assessment of Water Security (UK)
Dr Wee Ho Lim
Research Fellow in Global Water Security
Postdoctoral Research Assistant, CREDIBLE
Oxford Water Network Coordinator
Professor John Boardman
Dr David Favis-Mortlock
Senior Visiting Research Associate
Edoardo Borgomeo: 'Water resources adaptation decisions in the context of climatic non-stationarity and variability'
Iliana Cardenes Trujillo: 'Saving energy and saving water: a comparative study in policy and regulation'
Franziska Gaupp: 'Global risks to food supplies of correlated droughts'
Balqis Rehan Mohammed: 'Developing robust decision making strategies for dealing with uncertainties in flow variability for hydrological extremes'
Kevin Wheeler: 'Cooperation or Conflict in Trans-boundary Rivers with the Emergence of climate variability: a case study of the Nile River'