The ECI has an internationally-recognised track record in food systems research, with special emphasis on the interactions with environmental change. Key strengths include using a food systems lens to research food security issues, and developing research partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders including business, policy, development agencies, NGOs and academia at large.
Climate Change, Agriculture, and Food Security is a ten-year research initiative launched in 2011 by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and 'Future Earth').
The ECI delivers the Scenarios Component, led by Joost Vervoort.
The Food Climate Research Network combines integrative research into food systems and climate change mitigation, with a strong drive to foster change through knowledge sharing, dissemination and project seeding across disciplines and sectors. Running since 2005 and having recently moved to the ECI, it is currently funded by CCAFS and the Oxford Martin Programme on the Future of Food.
FCRN is led by Tara Garnett.
- Chaudhury, A., Sova, C., Rasheed, T., Thornton, T.F., Baral, P. and Zeb, A. (2014) Deconstructing Local Adaptation Plans for Action (LAPAs) - Analysis of Nepal and Pakistan LAPA initiatives. Working Paper. CGIAR, Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
- Jost, C.C., Kristjanson, P., Vervoort, J., Alvarez, S., Ferdous, N. and Forch, W. (2014) Lessons in theory of change: monitoring, learning and evaluating Knowledge to Action..
- Coghlan, C., Muzammil, M., Ingram, J., Vervoort, J., Otto, F. and James, R. (2014) A sign of things to come? Examining four major climate-related disasters, 2010-2013 and their impacts on food security. Oxfam Research Reports, Oxford. Oxfam.
- Vervoort, J.M., Thornton, P.K., Kristjanson, P., Forch, W., Ericksen, P.J., Kok, K., Ingram, J.S.I., Herrero, M., Palazzo, A., Helfgott, A.E.S., Wilkinson, A., Havlik, P., Mason-D'Croz, D. and Jost, C. (2014) Challenges to scenario-guided adaptive action on food security under climate change. Global Environmental Change.
- Garnett, T. (2014) Changing what we eat: A call for research and action on widespread adoption of sustainable healthy eating. Food Climate Research Network, University of Oxford.
The Oxford Martin Programme on the Future of Food is an interdisciplinary programme of research and policy engagement concerning all aspects of the food system, based at the University of Oxford.
This briefing is about how different futures might affect food security and environmental change in East Africa. ECI Insights for Policy 1 (2013).
Franziska Gaupp: 'Global risks to food supplies of correlated droughts'