Research led by
Ecosystem research groups
Theme 1: Multi-Level Forest Governance
- McDermott, C. and Ituarte-Lima, C. (2016) Safeguarding what and for whom? The role of institutional fit in shaping REDD+ in Mexico. Ecology and Society, 21(1)(9).
- Hahn, T., C. McDermott, C. Ituarte-Lima, M. Schultz, T. Green, M. Tuvendal. 2015. Purposes and degrees of commodification: economic instruments for biodiversity and ecosystem services need not rely on markets or monetary valuation. Ecosystem Services 16: 74–82.
- Tysiachniouk, M. and McDermott, C.L. (2015) Certification with Russian characteristics: Implications for social and environmental equity. Forest Policy and Economics.
- Schmidt, C.A. and McDermott, C.L. (2014) Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon: Local Explanations for Forestry Law Compliance. Social Legal Studies.
- Ituarte-Lima, C., Schultz, M., Hahn, T., McDermott, C. and Cornell, S. (2014) Biodiversity financing and safeguards: lessons learned and proposed guidelines. Stockholm Resilience Centre, Stockholm University.
- Barron, D.P. and McDermott, C.L. (2014) Private Funder Perspectives on Local Social and Environmental Impacts in ‘Reducing Emissions from deforestation and Degradation+’. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning.
- Pinto, L.F.G., Gardner, T., McDermott, C., Omar, K. and Ayub, L. (2014) Group certification supports an increase in the diversity of sustainable agriculture network–rainforest alliance certified coffee producers in Brazil. Ecological Economics, 107(November 2014): 59-64.
- McDermott, C. (2014) The Real Priorities in Saving the Forests. Impact essay for Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship.
- McDermott, C.L., Irland, L.C. and Pacheco, P. (2014) Forest certification and legality initiatives in the Brazilian Amazon: Lessons for effective and equitable forest governance. Forest Policy and Economics.
- Ituarte-Lima, C., McDermott, C.L. and Mulyani, M. (2014) Assessing equity in national legal frameworks for REDD+: The case of Indonesia. Environmental Science and Policy.
- Lesniewska, F. and M. McDermott. (2014) "FLEGT VPAs: Laying a Pathway to Sustainability via Legality Lessons from Ghana and Indonesia”. Forest Policy and Economics
- McDermott, C.L. (2014) REDDuced: From sustainability to legality to units of carbon - the search for common interests in international forest governance. Environmental Science and Policy, 35: 12-19.
- Schroeder, H., Sikor, T. and McDermott, C. (2014) Beyond Carbon: Enabling Justice and Equity in REDD+ Across Levels of Governance. Ecology and Society, 18(2).
- McDermott, C. (2013) Certification and Equity: Applying an "equity framework" to compare certification schemes across product sectors and scales. Environmental Science and Policy, 33: 428-437.
- Mahanty, S. and McDermott, C. (2013) How Does 'Free, Prior and Informed Consent' (FPIC) Impact Social Equity? Lessons from mining and forestry and their implications for REDD+. Land Use Policy, 35: 406-416.
- Pinto, L.F. and McDermott, C. (2013) Equity and forest certification - a case study in Brazil. Forest Policy and Economics, 30: 23-29.
- Lyster, R., MacKenzie, C. and McDermott, C.L. (eds.) (2013) Law, Tropical Forests and Carbon: The Case of REDD+. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- McDermott, C. L. (2012). Plantations and communities: Key controversies and trends in certification standards (pp. 1–31). FSC-AC. Retrieved fromhttp://ic.fsc.org/plantationscommunities.483.htm
- McDermott, C.L., van Asselt, H., Streck, C., Assembe, S., Duchelle, A., Haug, C., Humphreys, D., Mulyani, M., Silori, C., Suzuki, R., Zelli, F., Frick, S., Lentini, M., Luintel, H. and Salimon, C. (2012) Governance for REDD+, Forest Management and Biodiversity: Existing Approaches and Future Options. Chapter 5 in, Parrotta, J., Christoph, C. and Mansourie, S. (eds.)
- Understanding relationships between biodiversity, carbon, forests and people. IUFRO, Vienna. Commissioned by Global Forest Expert Panel, The Collaborative Partnership on Forests.
- Visseren-Hamakers, I.J., McDermott, C., Vijge, M.J. and Cashore, B. (2012) Trade-offs, co-benefits and safeguards: current debates on the breadth of REDD+. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4(6): 646-653.
- McDermott, C. L. (2012) Certification and Equity: Applying an “equity framework” to compare certification schemes across product sectors and scales. Environmental Science and Policy.
- Bozzi, L.; Cashore, B.; Levin, K.; McDermott, C.L. (2012) The role of private voluntary climate programs affecting forests: Assessing their direct and intersecting effects. In"Business and climate policy: The potentials and pitfalls of private voluntary programs", Ronit, K., Ed. United Nations University: Tokyo.
- McDermott, C., Coad, L., Helfgott, A. and Schroeder, H. (2012) Operationalizing social safeguards in REDD+: actors, interests and ideas. Environmental Science and Policy 21 (Aug 2012) pp.63-72.
- McDermott, C. (2011) Trust, legitimacy and power in forest certification: A case study of the FSC in British Columbia. GeoFoRUM. doi:10.1016/j.physletb.2003.10.071
- McDermott, C.; B. Cashore; K. Levin. 2011. Building the Forest-Climate Bandwagon: REDD and the Logic of Problem Amelioration. Global Environmental Politics. 11(3): 85-103.
- McDermott, C. (Coordinating Lead Author); Humphreys, D., Wildberger, C., Wood, P. (Lead Authors); and Marfo, E., Pacheco, P. and Yasmi, Y (Contributing Authors) (forthcoming)Mapping of the core actors and issues defining international forest governance. In, Rayner, J. Embracing complexity: meeting global forest governance challenges. Produced by the Expert Panel on the International Forest Regime, The Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CIFOR, FAO, ITTO, IUFRO, CBD, GEF, UNCCD, UNFF, UNFCCC, UNDP, UNEP, ICRAF, WB, IUCN).
- Kanowski, P., McDermott, C. and Cashorem, B. (2011) Implementing REDD+: lessons from analysis of forest governance. Environmental Science and Policy 14: 111-117.
- McDermott, C.L., Cashore, B. and Kanowski, P. (2010) Global Environmental Forest Policies: An international comparison. London: Earthscan. 384 pp. ISBN: 9781844075904. Now available from Routledge in paperback.
- Cashore, B., Galloway, G., Cubbage, F., Humphreys, D., Katila, P., Levin, K., McDermott, C., Maryudi, A., and McGinley, K. (2010) Ability of institutions to address new challenges. In, Mery, G., Katila, P., Galloway, G., Alfaro, R.I., Kanninen, M., Lobovikov, M. and J. Varjo (eds.) Forests and Society: Responding to Global Drivers of Change. IUFRO World Forests, Society and Environment Project.
- McDermott, C., Cashore, B. and Kanowski, P. (2009) Setting the bar: an international comparison of public and private forest policy specifications and implications for explaining policy trends. Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences, 6(3): 1-21.
- Nussbaum, R., Hoare, A., McDermott, C., Saunders, J. and Costa, P.M. (2009) Accelerating transfers of interim finance for REDD+: absorptive capacity and opportunities for early market involvement Report commissioned by the Department for International Development (DFID), UK.
Theme 2: Protected Area Effectiveness
- Abernethy, K.A., Coad, L., Taylor, G., Lee, M.E. and Maisels, F. (2013) Extent and ecological consequences of hunting in Central African rainforests in the twenty-first century. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B, 368(1625).
- Bahaa-el-din, L., Coad, L. et al. (2013) Notes on the distribution and status of small carnivores in Gabon. Small Carnivore Conservation, 48: 19-29.
- Coad, L., Leverington, F., Burgess, N., Cuadros, I., Geldmann, J., Marthews, T.R., Mee, J., Nolte, C., Stoll-Kleemann, S., Vansteelant, N., Zamora, C., Zimsky, M. and Hockings, M. (2013) Progress towards the CBD Protected Area Management Effectiveness targets.PARKS, 19 (1).
- Geldmann, J., Barnes, M., Coad, L., Craigie, I.D., Hockings, M. and Burgess, N.D. (2013) Effectiveness of terrestrial protected areas in reducing habitat loss and population declines. Biological Conservation, 161: 230-238.
- Vuohelainen, A., Coad, L., Marthews, T., Malhi, Y. and Kileen, Y. (2012). The effectiveness of contrasting protected areas in Madre de Dios, Peru. Environmental Management.
- Forrest, J.L., Bomhard, B., Budiman, A., Coad, L., Cox, N., Dinerstein, E., Huang, C., Huy, K., Lysenko, I., Magrath, W. (2011) Land Management and Protected Area Management Effectiveness in the Tiger Range. Animal Conservation.
- Osti, M., Coad, L., Fisher, J., Bomhard, B., Hutton, J. (2010) Oil and gas development in the World Heritage? and wider protected area network in sub-Saharan Africa
- Schmitt, C.B., Burgess, N.D., Coad, L., Belokurov, A., Besancon, C., Boisrobert, L., Campbell, A., Fish, L., Gliddon, D., Humphries, K., Kapos, V., Loucks, C., Lysenko, I., Miles, L., Mills, C., Minnemeyer, S., Pistorius, T., Ravilious, C., Steininger, M. and Winkel, G. (2009) Global analysis of the protection status of the world's forests. Biological Conservation, 142(10): 2122-2130.
- Coad, L., Burgess, N.D., Bomhard, B. and Besancon, C. (2009) Progress towards the Convention on Biological Diversity's 2010 and 2010 Targets for Protected Areas. A technical report for the IUCN international workshop "Looking to the Future of the CBD Programme of Work on Protected Areas", Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, 14-17 September 2009.
- Coad, L., Burgess, N.D., Loucks, C., Fish, L., Scharlemann, J.P.W., Duarte, L, and Besançon, B. (2009) The ecological representativeness of the global protected areas estate in 2009: progress towards the CBD 2010 target. UNEP-WCMC, WWF-US and ECI, University of Oxford.
Theme 3: Community Management of Bushmeat
- Wicander, S. and Coad, L. (2015) Learning our Lessons: A Review of Alternative Livelihood Projects in Central Africa Oxford, UK: ECI, University of Oxford and Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. Also available in French
- Technical Brief Improving Effectiveness of Alternative Livelihood Projects to Reduce Bushmeat Hunting Lessons from Central Africa | Also available in french.
- Technical Brief Summary Moving Beyond Assumptions: Can alternative livelihood projects reduce hunting pressure? Lessons from Central Africa for practitioners and donors | Also available in french.
- Coad, L., Schleicher, J., Starkey, M., Milner-Gulland, E.J., Manica, A., Balmford, A., Mbombe, W., Ndop, T., Abernethy, K.A. (accepted). Social, economic and ecological change over a decade in a village hunting system, Central Gabon. Biological Conservation.
- Green, J.M.H., Larrosa, C., Burgess, N.D., Balmford, A., Johnston, A., Mbilinyi, B., Platts, P.J. and Coad, L. (2013) Deforestation in an African biodiversity hotspot: Extent, variation and the effectiveness of protected areas. Biological Conservation, 164: 62-72.
- Henschel, P., Hunter, L., Coad, L., Abernethy, K. and Muhlenberg, M. (2011) Leopard prey choice in the Congo Basin rainforest reveals strong exploitative competition from human bushmeat hunters. Journal of Zoology
- Abernethy, K., Coad, L., Ilambu, O., Makiloutila, F., Easton, J. and Akiak, J. (2010) Wildlife hunting, consumption and trade in the Oshwe sector of the Salonga-Lukenie-Sankuru Landscape, DRC. WWF International.
- Coad, L., Abernethy, K., Balmford, A., Manica, A. and Milner-Gulland, E.J. (2010) Distribution and use of income from bushmeat in a rural village, central Gabon. Conservation Biology.
- Papworth, S.K., Rist, J., Coad, L., and Milner-Gulland, E.J. (2008) Evidence for shifting baseline syndrome in conservation. Conservation Letters, 2(2): 93-100.