Carbon offsets are a widely discussed mechanism whereby individuals and corporations pay for reductions elsewhere in order to offset their own emissions. The ECI has a number of research projects looking at different aspects of the offset market. In particular we are examining the following questions:
- Are these reductions actually significant? Can we quantify the reductions being made? Read more about this under non-nation stage actors and climate change research
- Can we verify if offsets are additional?
- Do they fulfill the sustainable development criteria which they were set out to achieve? Read more about this under our Clean Development Mechanism research
- Is it ethical to offset or are we merely bowing to our own indulgences? Read ECI's report on the conference: Commodifying Carbon - The Ethics of Markets in Nature
- What science and knowledge is required to verify that offsets are genuine?
- How are offsets governed?
- How are the CDM and voluntary markets converging? View 'Voluntary & compliance market perspectives on carbon finance' presentation from side event
- "How do voluntary offets challenge theories of sustainable and ethical consumption?" Link to Heather's publication
- Doctoral student: Adam Bumpus - Carbon Development: a political ecology analysis of carbon offset projects for local development and global climate benefits.
- Bumpus A., Liverman D, (2007) Accumulation by decarbonisation and the governance of carbon offsets. Economic Geography (forthcoming)
- Boyd, E., et al. (2007) The Clean Development Mechanism: An assessment of current practice and future approaches for policy. Tyndall Centre Working Paper 114, October 2007
- Conference: Commodifying Carbon: The Ethics of Markets in Nature
- Lovell, H., Buckley, H. and Liverman, D., 2007. Carbon offsetting: sustaining consumption?
- Okereke C., Bulkeley H, Schroeder H., (2007) Conceptualizing Climate Governance beyond the International Regime
- 'Voluntary & compliance market perspectives on carbon finance' Presentation by Heather Lovell and Adam Bumpus from Bali COP side event
- Strickland, D. and Bumpus, A (2007) Carbon Offsets. ECI's factsheet series