Dr Tara Garnett
Food Climate Research Network Leader
Tara Garnett initiated and runs the Food Climate Research Network (FCRN), based at the Environmental Change Institute.
Her work focuses on the contribution that the food system makes to greenhouse gas emissions and the scope for emissions reduction, looking at the technological options, at what could be achieved by changes in behaviour and how policies could help promote both these approaches. She is particularly interested in the relationship between emissions reduction objectives and other social and ethical concerns, particularly human health, livelihoods, and animal welfare. Much of her focus is on livestock, since this represents a nodal point where many of these issues converge.
Tara is keen to collaborate through the FCRN with other organisations to undertake research, organise events and build and extend interdisciplinary, intersectoral knowledge in this field.
- Roos, E., Bajzelj, B., Smith, P., Patel, M., Little, D. and Garnett, T. (2017) Protein futures for Western Europe: potential land use and climate impacts in 2050. Regional Environmental Change, 17(2): 367-377.
- Garnett, T. (2016) Plating up solutions: Can eating patterns be both healthier and more sustainable? Science, 353(6305): 1202-1204.
- Garnett, T. (2016) Policy briefing: Sustainable and healthy eating patterns? Discover Society(36).
- Ingram, J.S.I., Dyball, R., Howden, H., Vermeulen, S., Garnett, T., Redlingshöfer, B., Guilbert, S. and Porter, J.R. (2016) Food Security, Food Systems and Environmental Change. Solutions, May-June: 63-71.
- Springmann, M., D'Croz, D.M., Robinson, S., Garnett, T., Godfray, H.C.J., Golin, D., Rayner, M., Ballon, P., Scarborough, P. (2016) Global and regional health effects of future food production under climate change: a modelling study. The Lancet, 387(10031): 1936-1945.
- Garnett, T. (2015) Gut feelings and possible tomorrows: (where) does animal farming fit?.
- Ma, L., Qin, W., Garnett, T., Zhang, F. (2015) Review on drivers, trends and emerging issues of the food wastage in China. Frontiers of Agricultural Science and Engineering, 2(2): 159-167.
- Springmann, M., Mason-D’Croz, D., Robinson, S., Ballon, P., Garnett, T., Godfray, C., Gollin, D., Rayner, M. and Scarborough, P. (2015) PP60 The global and regional health impacts of future food production under climate change. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 69: 78-79.
- Garnett, T. (2014) Changing what we eat: A call for research and action on widespread adoption of sustainable healthy eating. Food Climate Research Network, University of Oxford.
- Garnett, T. (2014) What is a sustainable healthy diet? Food Climate Research Network
- Garnett, T. and Wilkes, A. (2014) Appetite for change: Social, economic and environmental transformations in China's food system. Food Climate Research Network, University of Oxford.
- van der Werf, H.M.G., Garnett, T., Corson, M.S., Hayashi, K., Huisingh, H. and Cederberg, C. (2014) Towards eco-efficient agriculture and food systems: theory, praxis and future challenges. Journal of Cleaner Production, 73: 1-9.