Dr Russell Layberry
Dr Russell Layberry is a computational physicist with over 15 years' experience in environmental applications including remote sensing, African climatology, glaciology and energy monitoring and management.
Current and recent interests include energy monitoring and analytics, design and implementation of web-connected energy and environmental sensor systems.
Russell leads the Environmental Monitoring and Analytics theme within the Energy Research group of the Environmental Change Institute at Oxford University.
Russell is Chief Technical Officer of ECI spin-out company Pilio - pioneering building science and innovation to provide businesses with the energy analytics to save energy, money and carbon.
- Granell, R., Axon, C.J., Wallom, D.C.H. and Layberry, R.L. (2016) Power-use profile analysis of non-domestic consumers for electricity tariff switching. Energy Efficiency, 9(3): 825-841.
- Janda, K., Wallom, D., Granell, R. and Layberry, R. (2016) Shopping for Success: Numbers, Knowledge, Time and Energy. American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy: Washington, DC. Proceedings of ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, Asilomar, CA. 8.. 1-10.
- Fawcett, T., Eyre, N. and Layberry, R. (2015) Heat pumps and global residential heating. Proceedings of ECEEE Summer Study, 1-6 June 2015 (Presqu'île de Giens, France). Vol. 1 - Foundations of Future Energy Policy European Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy,, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Janda, K.B., Patrick, J., Granell, R., Wallom, D., Layberry, R. (2015) A WICKED approach to retail sector energy management. Proceedings of ECEEE Summer Study, 1-6 June 2015 (Presqu'île de Giens, France). Vol. 1 - Foundations of Future Energy Policy European Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Stockholm, Sweden.. 185-195.
- Fawcett, T., Layberry, R. and Eyre, N. (2014) Electrification of heating: The role of heat pumps. BIEE conference, Oxford, 17-18 September 2014.
- Janda, K.B., Bottrill, C. and Layberry, R. (2014) Learning from the â€śdata poorâ€ť: energy management in understudied organizations. Journal of Property Investment and Finance, 32(4): 424-442.
- Axon, C., Hobson, P., Pisica, I., Taylor, G., Darby, S., Granell, R., Layberry, R. and Wallom, D. (2012) Towards an Understanding of Dynamic Energy Pricing and Tariffs. Paper 159, Proceedings, 47th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, Brunel University, 4-7 September.
- Layberry, R. (2011) Low Carbon Living: the power to make it possible. LCWO and WOCR
- Eyre, N., Anable, J., Brand, C., Layberry, R. and Strachan, N. (2010) The way we live from now on: lifestyle and energy consumption. Chapter 9 in, Skea, J., Ekins, P. and M. Winskel (eds.) Energy 2050: Making the Transition to a Secure Low Carbon Energy System. Earthscan. 408 pp. ISBN: 9781849710848.
- Williams, C.J.R., Kniveton, D.R. and Layberry, R. (2010) Assessment of a climate model to reproduce rainfall variability and extremes over Southern Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 99(1): 9-27.
- Williams, C.J.R., Kniveton, D.R. and Layberry, R. (2010) Idealized SST anomaly regional climate model experiments: a note of caution. Progress in Physical Geography, 34(1): 59-74.
- Kniveton, D.R., Layberry, R., Williams, C.J.R. and Peck, M. (2009) Trends in the start of the wet season over Africa. International Journal of Climatology, 29(9): 1216-1225.
- Layberry, R. (2009) Analysis of errors in degree days for building energy analysis using Meteorological Office weather station data. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 30(1): 79-86.
- Layberry, R.L. (2009) Improvements to the Meteorological Office equations in the computation of degree days. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 30(4): 357-362.
- Hinnells, M., Boardman, B., Layberry, R., Darby, S. and Killip, G. (2007) The UK Housing Stock 2005 to 2050: Assumptions used in Scenarios and Sensitivity Analysis in UKDCM2. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford 48 pp.
- Williams, C.J.R., Kniveton, D.R. and Layberry, R. (2007) Climatic and oceanic associations with daily rainfall extremes over southern Africa. International journal of climatology, 27(1): 93-108.
- Andersson, L., Wilk, J., Todd, M.C., Hughes, D.A., Earle, A., Kniveton, D., Layberry, R. and Savenije, H.H.G. (2006) Impact of climate change and development scenarios on flow patterns in the Okavango River. Journal of Hydrology, 331(1): 43-57.
- Layberry, R. (2006) Limiting Speed. Quick Hits(2).
- Layberry, R. (2006) Traffic Signals. Quick Hits(2).
- Layberry, R., Kniveton, D.R., Todd, M.C., Kidd, C. and Bellerby, T.J. (2006) Daily precipitation over southern Africa: a new resource for climate studies. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 7(1): 149-159.
- Palmer, J., Boardman, B., Bottrill, C., Darby, S., Hinnells, M., Killip, G., Layberry, R. and Lovell, H. (2006) Reducing the environmental impact of housing. Final Report, Consultancy study in support of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollutions 26th Report on the Urban Environment.
- Wilk, J., Kniveton, D., Andersson, L., Layberry, R., Todd, M.C., Hughes, D., Ringrose, S., V and erpost, C. (2006) Estimating rainfall and water balance over the Okavango River Basin for hydrological applications. Journal of Hydrology, 331(1): 18-29.
- Kniveton, D.R., Layberry, R., Todd, M.C., Bellerby, T. and Kidd, C. (2004) Daily variability of rainfall over southern Africa. UGMAP annual conference, 8-10th September 2004.
- Baldwin, D.J., Bamber, J.L., Payne, A.J. and Layberry, R.L. (2003) Using internal layers from the Greenland ice sheet, identified from radio-echo sounding data, with numerical models. Annals of Glaciology, 37(1): 325-330.
- Kniveton, D.R. and Layberry, R. (2003) Satellite based rainfall data and flooding over the Okavango river basin in Southern Africa., Bologna, Italy. 1st ACTIF Workshop: Combination of data from remote sensing for flood forecasting, 24-25 November, 2003.
- Surdu-Bob, C.C., Sullivan, J.L., Saied, S.O., Layberry, R. and Aflori, M. (2002) Surface compositional changes in GaAs subjected to argon plasma treatment. Applied surface science, 202(3-4): 183-198.
- Baldwin, D.J., Bamber, J.L. and Layberry, R.L. (2001) Paleo-Accumulation Rates for the Greenland Ice Sheet Derived from Radio Echo Sounding Data., Cambridge, UK. Paper presented at I.G.S.
- Bamber, J.L, Layberry, R.L., Payne, A.J. and Baldwin, D.J. (2001) Paleo-Accumulation Rates for the Greenland Ice sheet from Radio Echo Internal Layers., Nice, Italy. Paper presented at E.G.
- Bamber, J.L., Layberry, R. and Gogineni, S.P. (2001) A new ice thickness and bed data set for the Greenland ice sheet. 1. Measurement, data reduction and errors. Journal of Geophysical Research, 106(D24).
- Layberry, R.L. and Bamber, J.L. (2001) A new ice thickness and bed data set for the Greenland ice sheet 2. Relationship between dynamics and basal topography. Journal of geophysical research, 106: 33-781.
- Surdu-Bob, C.C., Sullivan, J.L, Layberry, R.L. and Aflori, M. (2001) XPS investigation of radio-frequency argon plasma treated GaAs., EURESCO, San Sebastian, Spain. Particle-Solid Interactions.
- Layberry, R., Bamber, J.L. and Gogineni, S. (2000) A new ice thickness and bedrock data set for the Greenland ice sheet., Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium.
- Layberry, R.L., Wronski, Z., Pearce, C.G. and Sullivan, J.L. (1999) A model of capacitively coupled radio-frequency methane/hydrogen plasmas for III-V semiconductor etching applications. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 32.
- Layberry, R.L (1998) EPSRC Report GR/J70970 - Assessment of Plasma Damage in III-V Semiconductor Device Structures. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Layberry, R.L., Pearce, C.G., Bunting, A.S. and Sullivan, J.L. (1998) The modelling and characterization of radio frequency hydrogen plasmas., Poprad, Slovakia.
- Layberry, R.L., Wronski, Z., Pearce, C.G. and Sullivan, J. L. (1998) Characterisation of rf methane/hydrogen plasmas for solid modification., Iasis, Romania.
- Saied, S.O., Layberry, R.L., Sullivan, J.L. and Cardwell, M.J. (1998) Surface modification of n-GaAs by hydrogen radio frequency plasmas., Iasis, Romania.
- Sullivan, J.L., Layberry, R.L., Heading, D.J. and Saied, S.O. (1998) Plasma damage in reactive ion etched GaAs in methane/hydrogen rf plasmas., Iasis, Romania.
- Sullivan, J.L., Saied, S.O., Layberry, R. and Cardwell, M.J. (1998) Surface modification of (100) n-GaAs by radio frequency hydrogen plasmas. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, 16.
- Wronski, Z. and Layberry, R.L. (1998) Modelling and Diagnostics of rf methane hydrogen plasmas. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)