Honorary Research Associate
Paul Sayers specialises in the management of the water environment and its associated risks. Previously a Director at HR Wallingford Ltd (leading their water and flood business), Paul has over twenty years international experience in all aspects of flood and coastal risk management - including large scale strategic planning studies in China, Europe and the US.
Paul is an advisor to the joint Defra-Environment Agency Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management research programme in the UK and co-led the Infrastructure theme within the UK Flood Risk Management Research Consortium. He is a member of the editorial panel for the CIWEM Journal of Flood Risk Management and acts as a reviewer for many other publications.
Paul will be working for 1 year within the ECI leading the FORUM project, focused on national scale flood risk analysis and associated flood risk management investment planning.
Paul has recently been appointed as a WWF Associate for WWF-UK. He will provide strategic advice to WWF's Freshwater Programme focusing on flooding with a particular emphasis on sustainable flood risk management and mitigation as part of an integrated catchment approach.
- Brisley, R., Wylde, R., Lamb, R., Cooper, J., Sayers, P. and Hall, J. (2016) Techniques for valuing adaptive capacity in flood risk management. Proceedings of the ICE - Water Management.
- Sayers, P., Lamb, R., Panzeri, M., Bowman, H., Hall, J., Horritt, M., and Penning-Rowsell, E. (2016) Believe it or not? The challenge of validating large scale probabilistic risk models. E3S Web Conf, 7.
- Flood Risk Management: A strategic approach. P. Sayers, Y. Li, G. Galloway, E. Penning-Rowsell, F. Shen, K. Wen, Y. Chen, and T. Le Quesne. 2013 Paris, UNESCO, WWF, ADB, GIWP
- Flood Risk: Design, Management and Planning of Flood Defence Infrastructure (editor Paul B Sayers). ICE, Thomas Telford (2012)
- Brisley, R., Wylde, R., Lamb, R., Cooper, J., Sayers, P. and Hall, J. (2015) Techniques for valuing adaptive capacity in flood risk management. Proceedings of the ICE - Water Management.
- Sayers, P., Walsh, C. and Dawson, R. (2015) Climate impacts on flood and coastal erosion infrastructure. ICE Institute of Civil Engineers.
- Penning-Rowsell, E., Sayers, P.B. and Watkinson, A. (2014) Innovation: Managing Risk, Not Avoiding It. Evidence and Case Studies: High level case study: Flooding. In, Annual Report of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser 2014. Government Office for Science, UK.
- Penning-Rowsell, E., Sayers, P.B. and Watkinson, A. (2014) Innovation: Managing Risk, Not Avoiding It. Evidence and Case Studies: High level case study: Flooding. In, Contribution to the Annual Report of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser 2014. by Government Office for Science, UK.
- Sayers P B, Galloway Gerry, Penning-Rowsell Edmund, Shen F, Wen K, Chen Y, Le Quesne T (2014). Strategic flood management: ten â€˜golden rulesâ€™ to guide a sound approach. Journal: International Journal of River Basin Management
- Sayers P. B., Nathan R., Rodda, H., Tomlinson, E., Bowles, D (2014). Comparison of Flood Hazard Estimation Methods for Dam Safety - Phase 1. Published by CEATI international, Montreal, Canada.
- Sayers P B, Galloway Gerry, Penning-Rowsell Edmund, Shen F, Wen K, Chen Y, Le Quesne T (2013). Flood Risk Management : A strategic approach. Published in English by UNESCO, Paris in May 2013 (ISBN 978-92-3-001159-8) and in Chinese by Water Publishing in October 2012 (ISBN:978-7-5170-0201-7). Published in asscoiation with WWF, the General Institute of Water Design and Planning, Beijing (GIWP) China and Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- X. Jiabi, P. Sayers, S. Dongya and Z. Hanghui (2013) Broad-scale reliability analysis of the flood defence infrastructure within the Taihu Basin, China. Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013 | DOI: 10.1111/jfr3.12034. Published by the Journal of flood risk management.
- Ramsbottom, D., Sayers, P. and Panzeri, M. (2012). Climate change risk assessment for the floods and coastal erosion sector. UK Climate Change Risk Assessment. Defra, London. The full set of CCRA sector reports can be found here
- Sayers, P., Galloway, G.,& Hall, J. (2012). Robust decision making under uncertainty - Towards adaptive and resilient flood risk
management infrastructure. London: Thomas Telford (link to publishers website)
- Sayers, P., Korternhaus, A., & Flickweert, J. (2012). Supporting Flood Risk Management Through Better Infrastructure Design And Management. In P. Sayers, Flood risk management - The design and management of supporting infrastructure. Thomas Telford.
- Tarrant, O., & Sayers, P. (2012). Managing flood risk in the Thames Estuary - The development of a long term robust and flexible
strategy. In P. Sayers, Flood risk management - The design and management of supporting infrastructure. Thomas Telford.
- Sayers, P.B.and Tarrant, O. and Brew, D. and Wallis, M. and Walkden, M.J.A. (2011) A framework for coastal and erosion risk management science. In: ICE Coastal Management Conference, 15-16 November 2011, Belfast, UK (Full science report - here)
- Sayers PB, Wallis M, Simm JD, Baxter G and Andryszewski (2010) Towards the Next Generation of Risk-Based Asset Management Tools. Editors Pender and Flaukner. Wiley Publications
- Samuels, P., Morris, M., Sayers, P., Creutin, J., Kortenhaus, A., Klijn, K., et al. (2010). A Framework For Integrated Flood Risk Management. Proceedings of the International Association of Hydraulic Research, IAHR, European Congress, Edinburgh, May 2010.
- C. Mc Gahey, P. Sayers, M. Wills, J. Lanyon, A. Weisgerber, S. Surendran, A. Baylis, T. Linford (2010). Modelling and Decision Support Framework 2 (MDSF2) - Initial Applications and Lessons Proc. Of the FCM10 Conference. Environment Agency
- Gouldby B, Sayers PB, Panzeri MC, Lanyon J (2010) Development of application of efficient methods for the forward propagation of epistemic uncertainty and sensitivity analysis within complex broad-scale flood risk system models. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering; Mar2010, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p496. Special Issue on Hydrotechnical Engineering.
- Phillips, T.and Hall, J.H. and Dawson, R.J. and Barr, S. and Ford, A. and Batty, M. and Dagoumas, A. and Sayers, P.B. (2008) Strategic appraisal of flood risk management options over extended timescales: combining scenario analysis with optimization. In: FLOODrisk 2008, 30 September - 2 October 2008, Keble College, Oxford, UK. (2008)
- Gouldby BP, Sayers PB, Mulet-Marti J, Hassan M, Benwell D (2008) A Methodology for Regional Scale Flood Risk Assessment Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Water Engineering, June 2008
- McGahey, C.and Sayers, P.B (2008) Long term planning â€“ robust strategic decision making in the face of gross uncertainty. In: FLOODrisk 2008, 30 September - 2 October 2008, Keble College, Oxford, UK. (2008)
- Lhomme, J.and Sayers, PB. and Gouldby, B.P. and Samuels, P.G. and Wills, M. and Mulet-Marti, J. Recent development and application of a rapid flood spreading method. In: FLOODrisk 2008, 30 September - 2 October 2008, Keble College, Oxford, UK. (2008)
- Hall JW; Sayers PB; Walkden MJA; Panzeri M (2006). Impacts of climate change on coastal flood risk in England and Wales: 2030â€“2100. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 2006, 364(1841), 1027-1049
- Hall JW; Dawson RJ; Manning LJ; Walkden MJA; Dickson ME; Sayers PB (2006). Managing changing risks to infrastructure systems.. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Civil Engineering 2006, 159 (Special Issue 2), 21-27.
- Krupka, M., Pender, G., Wallis, S., Sayers, PB., & Mulet-Marti, J. (2007, July). A rapid flood inundation model. In Proceedings Of
The Congress-International Association For Hydraulic Research (Vol. 32, No. 1,p. 28).
- Sayers PB and Meadowcroft IC (2005). RASP - A hierarchy of risk-based methods and their application. Proceedings of the 40th Defra Conf. of River and Coastal Management.
- Evans, E.P., Ashley, R., Hall, J.W., Penning-Rowsell, E.P., Saul, A., Sayers, PB., Thorne, C.R. and Watkinson, A. (2004b). Foresight Future Flooding, Scientific Summary: Volume 2: Managing future risks. Office of Science and Technology, London.
- Evans, E.P., Ashley, R., Hall, J.W., Penning-Rowsell, E.P., Saul, A., Sayers, PB., Thorne, C.R. and Watkinson, A. (2004a).
Foresight Future Flooding, Scientific Summary: Volume 1: Future risks and their drivers. Office of Science and Technology, London.
- Dawson R, Hall JW, Sayers PB, Bates P (2003). Flood risk assessment for shoreline management. Proceeding of the
ICE International Conference on Coastal Management, Brighton, UK 2003
- Hall JW; Meadowcroft IC; Sayers PB; Bramley ME (2003).Integrated flood risk management in England and Wales. Natural Hazards Review 2003, 4(3), 126-135.
- Hall JW; Evans EP; Penning-Rowsell EC; Sayers PB; Thorne CR; Saul AJ (2003). Quantified scenarios analysis of
drivers and impacts of changing flood risk in England and Wales: 2030-2100. Environmental Hazards 2003, 5(3-4), 51-65.
- Hall JW; Dawson RJ; Sayers P; Rosu C; Chatterton J; Deakin R (2003). A methodology for national-scale flood risk assessment. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Water & Maritime Engineering 2003, 156(3), 235-247. Robert Carr Prize
- Meadowcroft IC, Sayers PB, Hall JW. (2002) Risk, performance and uncertainty in flood and coastal management - a defining review.
Paper presented at the Annual Conference of River and Coastal Engineers, University of Keele, June 2002, papers published by DEFRA,
- Sayers PB; Hall JW; Meadowcroft IC (2002). Towards risk-based flood hazard management in the UK. Civil Engineering 2002, 150(5), 36-42.