Dr Friederike Otto
Position:Senior Researcher and Scientific Coordinator, climateprediction.net
Contact:e: email@example.com t: +44 (0)1865 285536
Member:ECI Climate Research Theme
Friederike is a senior researcher in the ECI Global Climate Science Programme and leads and coordinates the distributed computing climate modelling project climateprediction.net.
Her main reserach interest is on extreme weather events, improving and developing methodologies to answer the question 'whether and to what extent external climate drivers alter the likelihood of extreme weather'. She furthermore investigates the policy implication of this emerging scientific field.
Friederike joined the ECI in 2011 to work on ensemble-based quantification of uncertainty in climate impact projections and continues to work on the quantification of uncertainty and validation of climate models. She is the ECI lead scientist on the international project World Weather Attribution which aims at providing an assessment of the human-influence on extreme weather in real-time and co-investigator of the project ACE-Africa.
- Hannart, A., Pearl, J., Otto, F.E.L., Naveau, P. and Ghil, M. (2015) Causal counterfactual theory for the attribution of weather and climate-related events. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
- Otto, F.E.L. (2015) Climate change: Attribution of extreme weather. Nature Geoscience, 8: 581-582.
- Otto, F.E.L., Boyd, E., Jones, R.G., Cornforth, R.J., James, R., Parker, H.R. and Allen, M.R. (2015) Attribution of extreme weather events in Africa: a preliminary exploration of the science and policy implications. Climatic Change.
- Otto, F.E.L., Frame, D.J., Otto, A. and Allen, M.R. (2015) Embracing uncertainty in climate change policy. Nature Climate Change.
- Parker, H.R., Cornforth, R.J., Boyd, E., James, R., Otto, F.E.L. and Allen, M. (2015) Implications of event attribution for loss and damage policy. Weather, 70(9): 268-273.
- Sippel, S., Mitchell, D., Black, M.T., Dittus, A.J., Harrington, L., Schaller, N. and Otto, F. (2015) Combining large model ensembles with extreme value statistics to improve attribution statements of rare events. Weather and Climate Extremes.
- Sippel, S., Walton, P. and Otto, F.E.L. (2015) Stakeholder Perspectives on the Attribution of Extreme Weather Events: An Explorative Enquiry. Weather, Climate and Society.
- Thompson, A., Otto, F.E.L. (2015) Ethical and normative implications of weather event attribution for policy discussions concerning loss and damage. Climatic Change, June 2015.
- Añel, J.A., López-Moreno, J.I., Otto, F.E.L., Vicente-Serrano, S., Schaller, N., Massey, N., Buisán, S.T. and Allen, M.R. (2014) The extreme snow accumulation in the western Spanish Pyrenees during winter and spring 2013. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 95(9).
- Coghlan, C., Muzammil, M., Ingram, J., Vervoort, J., Otto, F. and James, R. (2014) A sign of things to come? Examining four major climate-related disasters, 2010-2013 and their impacts on food security. Oxfam Research Reports, Oxford. Oxfam.
- Huntingford, C., Marsh, T., Scaife, A.A., Kendon, E., Hannaford, J., Kay, A., Lockwood, M., Prudhomme, C., Reynard, N., Parry, S., Lowe, J., Screen, J., Ward, H., Roberts, M., Stott, P., Bell, V., Bailey, M., Jenkins, A., Legg, T., Otto, F.E.L., Massey, N., Schaller, N., Slingo, J. and Allen, M.R. (2014) Potential influences on the United Kingdom's floods of winter 2013/14. Nature Climate Change, 4: 769-777.
- James, R., Otto, F., Parker, H., Boyd, E., Cornforth, R., Mitchell, D. and Allen, M. (2014) Characterizing loss and damage from climate change. Nature Climate Change.
- Lopez, A., Suckling, E.B., Otto, F.E.L., Lorenz, A., Rowlands, D. and Allen, M.R. (2014) Towards a typology for constrained climate model forecasts. Climatic Chnge.
- Otto, F.E.L., Rosier, S.M., Allen, M.R., Massey, N.R., Rye, C.J. and Quintana, J.I. (2014) Attribution analysis of high precipitation events in summer in England and Wales over the last decade. Climatic Change.
- Schaller, N., Otto, F., van Oldenborgh, G.J., Massey, N., Sparrow, S. (2014) The heavy precipitation event of May-June 2013 in the upper Danube and Elbe basins. In, Explaining Extremes of 2013 from a Climate Perspective. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 95 no.9. pp. 69-72.
- Sippel, S. and Otto, F.E.L. (2014) Beyond climatological extremes - assessing how the odds of hydrometeorological extreme events in South-East Europe change in a warming climate. Climate Change, June 2014.
- Wesselink, A., Challinor, A., Watson, J., Beven, K., Allen, I., Hanlon, H., Lopez, A., Lorenz, S., Otto, F., Morse, A., Rye, C., Saux-Picard, S., Stainforth, D. and Suckling, E. (2014) Equipped to deal with uncertainty in climate and impacts predictions: lessons from internal peer review. Climatic Change.
- Otto, A., Otto, F.E.L., Boucher, O., Church, J., Hegerl, G., Forster, P.M., Gillett, N.P., Gregory, J., Johnson, G.C., Knutti, R., Lewis, N., Lohmann, U., Marotzke, J., Myhre, G., Shindell, D., Stevens, B. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Energy budget constraints on climate response. Nature Geoscience, 6: 415-416.
- Otto, F.E.L., Ferro, C.A.T., Fricker, T.E., Suckling, E.B. (2013) On judging the credibility of climate predictions. Climatic Change.
- Otto, F.E.L., Jones, R.G., Halladay, K. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Attribution of changes in precipitation patterns in African rainforests. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B, 368(1625).
- Rupp, D.E., Mote, P.W., Massey, N., Otto, F.E.L. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Human Influence on the probability of low precipitation in the central United States in 2012. In, Explaining extreme events of 2012 from a climate perspective. Bulletin of the American Meteorology Society, 94, S2-S6, 2013.
- Massey, N., Aina, T., Rye, C., Otto, F.E.L., Wilson, S., Jones, R.G. and Allen, M.R. (2012) 'Have the odds of warm November temperatures and cold December temperatures in central England changed?' in 'Explaining Extreme Events of 2011 from a Climate Perspective'. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 93: 1057-1059.
- Otto, F.E.L. (2012) Modelling the earth's climate - an epistemic perspective. PhD Thesis.
- Otto, F.E.L., Massey, N., van Oldenborgh, G.J., Jones, R.G. and Allen, M.R. (2012) Reconciling two approaches to attribution of the 2010 Russian heat wave. Geophysical Research Letters, 39(L04702).
- Otto, F.E.L. (2010) Von Kopenhagen nach Mexiko (Form Copenhagen to Mexico. Dokumente 65.
- Otto, F.E.L. (2009) Auf dem Weg in die Klimakatastrophe? (On the way to the climate catatrophe?). Aus Politik und Zeitgeschichte (Of Politics and History)(52).
- Otto, F.E.L. (2007) Influence of a simplified ozone chemistry in the stratosphere of the planetary wave dynamics in a complex climate model, Diploma Thesis..