Dr Alexander Otto (né Lorenz)
Position:ECI Research Fellow on Climate Decisions
t: +44 (0)1865 275894
Alexander Otto is a Research Fellow in Climate Decisions at the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford and also a Stipendiary Lecturer in Environmental Geography at St Catherine's College, Oxford.
His research focusses on the links between climate change mitigation strategies and long-term socio-economic growth theories. Further, he works on the role of uncertainty, learning, limited system-controllability, and of infrastructure systems in optimal climate decisions. His work contributes steps towards a Next Generation Integrated Assessment of Climate Change mitigation and adaptation. Additionally he cooperates with colleagues in climate science on projects about the relative importance of transient vs. equilibrium climate response and on the design of multi-gas emission metrics.
Previously Alexander Otto has worked in the Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium (ITRC) on developing a general modelling framework for analysis of capacity and demand that allows integrating five different infrastructure sector models into a single analysis.
Alexander Otto studied Physics and Philosophy at the University of Potsdam and holds a Diploma (Masters Equivalent) in Physics. He also holds a Dr. rer. oec. (PhD in economics) from the Technical University Berlin.
- A complete publication list (including forthcoming publications)
- For citations see Google scholar
- Watch an audio and slide presentation of the 2013 'Energy budget constraints on climate response paper' in Nature Geoscience (Powerpoint file, 38,603KB)
- Millar, R., Otto, A. Lowe, J. and Allen, M. (2014) Examining uncertainties in equilibrium climate sensitivity and transient climate response using an impulse-response model.. EGU General Assembly 2014, held 27 April - 2 May, 2014 in Vienna, Austria.
- Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A., Nicholls, R., Alderson, D., Barr, S., Baruah, P., Beavan, R., Birkin, M., Blainey, S., Byers, E., Chaudry, M., Curtis, T., Ebrahimy, R., Eyre, N., Hiteva, R., Jenkins, N., Jones, C., Kilsby, C., Leathard, A., Manning, L., Otto, A., Oughton, E., Powrie, W., Preston, J., Qadrdan, M., Thoung, C., Tyler, P., Watson, J., Watson, G. and Zuo, C. (2014) National infrastructure assessment: Analysis of options for infrastructure provision in Great Britain, Interim results. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford.
- Carlsson, R., Otto, A. and Hall, J.W. (2013) The role of infrastructure in macroeconomic growth theories. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems, 30(3-4): 263-273.
- Otto, A., Otto, F.E.L., Boucher, O., Church, J., Hegerl, G., Forster, P.M., Gillett, N.P., Gregory, J., Johnson, G.C., Knutti, R., Lewis, N., Lohmann, U., Marotzke, J., Myhre, G., Shindell, D., Stevens, B. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Energy budget constraints on climate response. Nature Geoscience, 6: 415-416.
- Otto, A., Todd, B.J., Bowerman, N., Frame, D.J. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Climate system properties determining the social cost of carbon. Environmental Research Letters, 8(2).
- Lorenz, A., Kriegler, E., Held, H. and Schmidt, M.G.W. (2012) How to measure the importance of climate risk for determining optimal global abatement policies? Climate Change Economics, 3(1).
- Lorenz, A., Schmidt, M.G.W., Kriegler, E. and Held, H. (2012) Anticipating climate threshold damages. Environmental Modeling and Assessment: 1-13.
- Neubersch, D., Held, H., Lorenz, A. and Kriegler, E. (2012) Assessing climate targets under uncertainty analysis.. 3rd International Conference on Earth System Modelling.
- Schmidt, M.G.W., Held, H., Kriegler, E. and Lorenz, A. (2012) Climate Policy under Uncertain and Heterogeneous Climate Damages. Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Schmidt, M.G.W., Lorenz, A., Held, H. and Kriegler, E. (2011) Climate targets under uncertainty: challenges and remedies. Climatic Change, 104(3): 783-791.
- Bauer, N., Edenhofer, O., Haller, M., Klein, D., Lorenz, A., Luderer, G., Ludig, S., Lueken, M. and Pietzcker, R. (2010) Technologies, policies and economics of global reductions of energy related CO2 emissions. An analysis with ReMIND.. Proceedings of the 4th World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- Lorenz, A., Held, H., Bauer, E. and Schneider von Deimling, T. (2010) Constraining Ocean Diffusivities from the 8.2 ka event. Climate Dynamics, 34(5): 719-734.