Dr Alexander Otto (né Lorenz)
Position:ECI Research Fellow on Climate Decisions
t: +44 (0)1865 275894
Alexander Otto has recently been awarded a Research Fellowship in Climate Decisions at the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford. He is working on the role of uncertainty, learning, and limited system-controllability on optimal climate decisions to contribute steps towards a Next Generation Integrated Assessment of Climate Change mitigation and adaptation.
Additionally he cooperates with colleagues in climate science on projects about the relative importance of transient vs. equilibrium climate response and on the design of multi-gas emission metrics.
Previously Alexander Otto has worked in the Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium (ITRC) on developing a general modelling framework for analysis of capacity and demand that allows integrating five different infrastructure sector models into a single analysis.
Alexander Otto studied Physics and Philosophy at the University of Potsdam and holds a Diploma (Masters Equivalent) in Physics. He also holds a Dr. rer. oec. (PhD in economics) from the Technical University Berlin.
During his PhD project he worked as researcher at the Potsdam-Institute for Climate Impact Research. His research focused on the influence of epistemic uncertainty and anticipated learning about uncertain economic and climatic key system properties on optimal global mitigation strategies for climate change. Other fields of interest were the coupling of a macro-economic-energy model to climate models of different complexity and axiomatic problems with formulating decision criteria for optimal mitigation policies under uncertainty.
- A complete publication list (including forthcoming publications)
- For citations see Google scholar
- Watch an audio and slide presentation of the 2013 'Energy budget constraints on climate response paper' in Nature Geoscience (Powerpoint file, 38,603KB)
- Otto, A., Otto, F.E.L., Boucher, O., Church, J., Hegerl, G., Forster, P.M., Gillett, N.P., Gregory, J., Johnson, G.C., Knutti, R., Lewis, N., Lohmann, U., Marotzke, J., Myhre, G., Shindell, D., Stevens, B. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Energy budget constraints on climate response. Nature Geoscience, 6: 415-416.
- Otto, A., Todd, B.J., Bowerman, N., Frame, D.J. and Allen, M.R. (2013) Climate system properties determining the social cost of carbon. Environmental Research Letters, 8(2).
- Lorenz, A., Kriegler, E., Held, H. and Schmidt, M.G.W. (2012) How to measure the importance of climate risk for determining optimal global abatement policies? Climate Change Economics, 3(1).
- Lorenz, A., Schmidt, M.G.W., Kriegler, E. and Held, H. (2012) Anticipating climate threshold damages. Environmental Modeling and Assessment: 1-13.
- Neubersch, D., Held, H., Lorenz, A. and Kriegler, E. (2012) Assessing climate targets under uncertainty analysis.. 3rd International Conference on Earth System Modelling.
- Schmidt, M.G.W., Held, H., Kriegler, E. and Lorenz, A. (2012) Climate Policy under Uncertain and Heterogeneous Climate Damages. Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Schmidt, M.G.W., Lorenz, A., Held, H. and Kriegler, E. (2011) Climate targets under uncertainty: challenges and remedies. Climatic Change, 104(3): 783-791.
- Bauer, N., Edenhofer, O., Haller, M., Klein, D., Lorenz, A., Luderer, G., Ludig, S., Lueken, M. and Pietzcker, R. (2010) Technologies, policies and economics of global reductions of energy related CO2 emissions. An analysis with ReMIND.. Proceedings of the 4th World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- Lorenz, A., Held, H., Bauer, E. and Schneider von Deimling, T. (2010) Constraining Ocean Diffusivities from the 8.2 ka event. Climate Dynamics, 34(5): 719-734.