Dr Monika Zurek
Senior Researcher, SUSFANS
Dr Monika Zurek is a senior researcher at the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford and a member of the ECI Food Systems Group. For more than 15 years she has worked on food systems, environment and development interactions in research and international organizations as well as in the consulting and the philanthropic sector.
Prior to joining ECI, Monika worked with Climate Focus, a consulting firm focusing on climate change mitigation and land use issues. Before that, she was part of the Agricultural Development Team of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation managing grants to improve the environmental sustainability of agricultural systems and risk management in agriculture. She also served as an economist at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and supported the Scenarios Working Group of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. Monika started her career as a researcher at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), working on agricultural sustainability projects in Costa Rica and Mexico. She was also a lead author for various environmental assessments such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, AR4), the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment and the International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD).
Monika holds degrees from the University of Hohenheim (MSc equivalent/Diploma in agricultural biology) and Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany (PhD in agricultural economics).
- Dickie, A., Streck, C., Roe, S., Zurek, M., Haupt, F. and Dolginow, A. (2014) Strategies for Mitigating Climate Change in Agriculture: Recommendations for Philanthropy. Climate Focus and California Environmental Associates.
- Ash, N., Blanco, H., Brown, C., Garcia, K., Henrichs, T., Lucas, N., Raudsepp-Hearne, C., Simpson, R.D., Scholes, R., Tomich, T., Vira, B. and Zurek, M. (2010) Ecosystems and Human Well-being: A Manual for Assessment Practitioners. Island Press, Washington DC. United Nations Environment Programme World Convservation Monitoring Centre. ISBN: 978-1-59726-711-3.
- Carter, T.R., Jones, R.N., Lu, X., Bhadwal, S., Conde, C., Mearns, L.O., O’Neill, B.O., Rounsevell, M.D.A. and Zurek, M.B. (2007) New Assessment Methods and the Characterisation of Future Conditions. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II. In, Parry, M.L., Canziani, O.F., Palutikof, J.P., van der Linden, P.J. and Hanson, C.E. (eds.) Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. pp. 133-171.
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN (2007) The State of Food and Agriculture 2007. Part I: Paying Farmers for Environmental Services. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome, Italy.
- Zurek, M.B. and Henrichs, T. (2007) Linking scenarios across geographical scales in international environmental assessments. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 74(8): 1282-1295.