Dr Matt Ives
Dr Matthew Ives is a research scientist with extensive experience in infrastructure systems modelling, environmental sustainability, and information technology. Matthew has experience in both the private and public sectors including modelling infrastructure adaptation in UK, assessing AusAID-funded sustainable infrastructure projects in China; working on sustainability indicators with the US Forest service; on fisheries assessment and modelling in Australia; and in developing software systems for private enterprises.
Dr Ives is currently employed at the Oxford University Centre for the Environment where he is combining his passion for environmental sustainability with his years of experience in systems modelling. His research work focusses on the development of modelling frameworks for the integration of key infrastructure systems (including energy, water, waste, transport and information technology) to help improve our understanding of future infrastructure capacity requirements, their interdependencies and the implications of changing socio-economic and climatic conditions on our sustainability and economic prosperity. Through the ITRC Mistral program (www.itrc.org.uk) he is using the National Infrastructure Systems Model (NISMOD) to inform the UK government on their current national infrastructure needs assessment and collaborating with the United Nations Office of Project Services (UNOPS) to transfer their national infrastructure modelling capabilities to developing, post-disaster and post-conflict countries (www.itrc.org.uk/nismod/nismod-international).
Dr Ives has published on a variety of pioneering areas of research including assessing alternative strategies of national water supply under changing socio-economic and climatic conditions, valuing changes in mortality associated with infrastructure improvement projects, assessing waste management infrastructure options, developing indicators for sustainable forestry management, understanding the impact of model structure uncertainty on fisheries stock assessment, developing standards for risk management of fisheries, and statistical analyses of fish life-cycles and shark monitoring programs.
Matthew holds a Masters of Environmental Management from Portland State University, USA, as well as an Honours degree in Economics and a PhD in systems modelling from the University of NSW, Australia.
- Hall, J.W., Thacker, S., Ives, M.C., Cao, Y., Chaudry, M., Blainey, S.P. and Oughton, E.J. (2017) Strategic analysis of the future of national infrastructure. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Civil Engineering, 170(1): 39-47.
- Ives, M. and Thacker, S. (2017) How civil engineers can help the UK meet the Paris Agreement on climate. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Civil Engineering, 170(1).
- Payo, A., Favis-Mortlock, D., Dickson, M., Hall, J.W., Hurst, M., Walkden, M.J.A., Townend, I., Ives, M.C., Nicholls, R.J. and Ellis, M.A. (2017) Coastal Modelling Environment version 1.0: a framework for integrating landform-specific component models in order to simulate decadal to centennial morphological changes on complex coasts. Geoscientific Model Development, 10: 2715-2740.
- Barr, S., Alderson, D., Robson, C. and Ives, M.C. (2016) Database, simulation modelling and visualisation for national infrastructure assessment. In, Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A. and Nicholls, R. (eds.) Planning Infrastructure for the 21st Century: A Systems-of-Systems Methodology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Ives, M.H. and Ives, M.C. (2016) The Great 21st Century Energy Challenge (Australian 1st edition).
- Simpson, M., Ives, M. and Hall, J. (2016) Evaluation of strategies for nature-based solutions to drought: a decision support model at the national scale. EGU General Assembly 2016, held 17-22 April, 2016 in Vienna Austria.
- Simpson, M., Ives, M.C., Hall, J. and Kisby, C. (2016) Water supply systems assessment. In, Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A. and Nicholls, R. (eds.) Planning Infrastructure for the 21st Century: A Systems-of-Systems Methodology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Simpson, M., James, R., Hall, J.W., Borgomeo, E., Ives, M.C., Almeida, S., Kingsborough, A., Economou, T., Stephenson, D. and Wagener, T. (2016) Decision Analysis for Management of Natural Hazards. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 41: 489-516.
- van der Meulen, D., Walsh, C.T., Reinfelds, I., Payne, N.L., Ives, M.C., Roberts, D.G., Craig, J., Gray, C.A. and Taylor, M.D. (2016) Estuarine movements of a hybrid sparid complex. PLOS one.
- Ives, M.C., Coello, J., Turner, D., Watson, G.V.R., Stringfellow, A.M., Powrie, W. and Hall, J. Dolan, T.and Collins, B. (ed.) (2015) Designing a Solid Waste Infrastructure Management Model for Integration into a National Infrastructure System-of Systems.Dolan, T.and Collins, B. (ed.) International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure Conference Proceedings: 30 September - 1 October 2014 International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA),Schloss Laxenburg, Vienna, Austria UCL STEaPP, London, UK.. 27-32.
- Taylor, M.D., van der Meulen, D.E., Ives, M.C., Walsh, C.T., Reinfelds, I.V. and Gray, C.A. (2014) Shock, Stress or Signal? Implications of Freshwater Flows for a Top-Level Estuarine Predator. PLOS one, 9(4).
- O'Neill, M.F., Leigh, G.M, Wang, Y.J., Matías, B. and Ives, M.C., (2014), Linking spatial stock dynamics and economics: evaluation of indicators and fishery management for the travelling eastern king prawn (Melicertus plebejus), ICES J. Mar. Sci., published online February 3, 2014 doi:10.1093/icesjms/fst218
- Robbins, W. D. Peddemors, V. M., Kennelly, S. J. and Ives, M. C. (2014), An experimental evaluation of shark detection rates by aerial observers, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, PLoS ONE 9(2): e83456
- Ives, M.C., Scandol, J.P., Greenville, J. (2013), A bio-economic management strategy evaluation for a multi-species, multi-fleet fishery facing a world of uncertainty, Ecological Modelling, 256, p69-84
- Ives, M.C., Scandol, J.P. (2013), BIOMAS: a bio-economic modelling and assessment system for fisheries management strategy evaluation, Ecological Modelling, 249, p42- 49, doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2012.07.006
- Walsh, C. T., Reinfelds, I. V., Ives, M. C., Gray, C. A., West, R. J. and van der Meulen, D. E. (2013), Environmental influences on the spatial ecology and spawning behaviour of an estuarine-dependent fish, Macquaria colonorum, Estuarine and Coastal Science, 1- 12
- Smith, J.A, Baumgartner, L.J. Suthers, I.M, Ives, M.C., Taylor, M.T., (2012), Estimating the stocking potential of impoundments by modelling supply and demand, Freshwater Biology, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2427.2012.02801.x • Gray, S.A., Ives, M.C., Scandol, JP, Jordan, RC, (2010), Categorising the risks in fisheries management, Fisheries Management and Ecology, 17, 501-512
- Rowling, K., Hegarty, A. and Ives, M.C. Eds (2010), Status of Fish Resources in NSW 2008/09, Industry & Investment NSW, Cronulla, 392p
- Scandol J.P., Ives M.C. and Lockett M.M. (2009) Development of national guidelines to improve the application of risk-based methods in the scope, implementation and interpretation of stock assessments for data-poor species. Final report to the Fisheries Research & Development Corporation for Project No. 2007/016. Industry & Investment NSW Final Report Series No. 115. Cronulla Fisheries Research Centre of Excellence, NSW, Australia. 184pp.
- Gray, C.A. Ives, M. C. Macbeth, W. G. and Kendall, B. W., (2010), Variation in growth, mortality, length and age compositions of harvested populations of the herbivorous fish Girella tricuspidata, Journal of Fish Biology, 76, 880–899
- Ives, M.C., Scandol, J.P., Montgomery, S.S. and Suthers, I.M., (2009). Modelling the possible effects of climate change on an Australian multi-fleet prawn fishery. Marine and Freshwater Research. 60, 1211-1222
- Ives, M.C. and Scandol, J.P., (2007). A Bayesian analysis of NSW eastern king prawn stocks (Melicertus plebejus) using multiple model structures. Fish. Res. 84, 314-327.
- Scandol J.P., Ives M.C. (2005) RAS: An internet-based resource assessment system for multi-species fisheries monitoring and management, Proceedings of a workshop conducted by the Australian Society for Fish Biology, 11-15th July 2005'. Darwin, Northern Territory. (Eds PC Coutin, M Grubert and M Phelan) pp. 1-11. (Australian Society for Fish Biology)