Dr Linus Mattauch
Departmental Research Lecturer in the Economics of Environmental Change
Linus is a lecturer at the Environmental Change Institute of the Faculty of Geography and the Environment (part-time). He is also a visiting fellow at INET, funded through a postdoctoral scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service.
His research interests are: climate change economics, public finance (in particular second-best analyses), welfare theory (in particular normative implications of behavioural economics), theories of economic growth and low-carbon transport. His research has been published in journals such as Science, Economics Letters, Macroeconomic Dynamics, Global Environmental Change and Transportation Research Part D.
Before joining ECI and INET, Linus previously worked at the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change and the Technical University of Berlin. He completed his PhD thesis, entitled "Rent and Redistribution: The welfare implications of financing low-carbon public investment", in 2015 there. He holds an MMathPhil (2008) from Oxford in mathematics and philosophy.
A full academic CV can be accessed here.
- Klenert, D. and Mattauch, L. (2016) How to make a carbon tax progressive: the role of subsistence consumption. Economic Letters, 138: 100-103.
- Klenert, D., Mattauch, L., Edenhofer, O. and Lessmann, K. (2016) Infrastructure and Inequality: Insights from Incorporating Key Economic Facts about Household Heterogeneity. Macroeconomic Dynamics.
- Klenert, D., Schwerhoff, G., Edenhofer, O. and Mattauch, L. (2016) Carbon Taxation, Inequality and Engel's Law -- The Double Dividend of Redistribution. Environmental and Resource Economics, 67(269): 1-20.
- Mattauch, L. and Hepburn, C. (2016) Climate Policy When Preferences Are Endogenous—and Sometimes They Are. Midwest Studies in Philosophy, 40(1): 76-95.
- Mattauch, L., Edenhofer, O., Klenert, D. and Bernard, S., (2016) Distributional effects of public investment when wealth and classes are back. Metroeconomica, 67(3): 603-629.
- Creutzig, F., Jochem, P., Edelenbosch, O.Y., Mattauch, L., van Vuuren, D.P., McCollum, D. and Minx, J. (2015) Transport: A roadblock to climate change mitigation? Science, 350(6263): 911-912.
- Edenhofer, O., Mattauch, L. and Siegmeier, J. (2015) Hypergeorgism: When Rent Taxation is Socially Optimal. Finanzarchiv/Public Finance Analysis, 71(4): 474-505.
- Edenhofer, O., Jakob, M., Creutzig, F., Flachsland, C., Fuss, S., Kowarsch, M., Lessmann, K., Mattauch, L., Siegmeier, J. and Steckel, J.C. (2015) Closing the Emissions Price Gap. Global Environmental Change, 31: 132-143.
- Mattauch, L., Creutzig, F. and Edenhofer, O. (2015) Avoiding Carbon Lock-In: Evaluating Policy Options for Advancing Structural Change. Economic Modelling, 50: 49-63.
- Mattauch, L., Ridgway, M. and Creutzig, F. (2015) Happy or liberal? Making sense of behavior in transport policy design. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.