Member:ECI Energy Research Theme
My research focuses on community-led energy projects, and peer-to-peer learning on home eco-renovation. I am currently involved in two research projects: EVALOC (Evaluating the impacts, effectiveness and success for Department of Energy and Climate Change funded low carbon communities on localised energy behaviour) and UNLOC (Understanding Local and Community Governance of Energy). Within these projects I am using action research methodologies, exploring the role of social learning and how social networks are used to disseminate energy messages, exploring the role of the arts in engaging individuals and communities with climate change and energy, and helping to develop monitoring and evaluation resources.
My research was fuelled through coordinating the ECI-led local engagement project Oxfordshire ClimateXchange. ClimateXchange helped develop and support local community groups, working alongside other local support agencies, and has worked to engage a variety of individuals and groups in climate change and energy through workshops and events ranging from creative writing to engaging local businesses involved in the building and construction trades. In partnership with COIN's Ecovation project ClimateXchange organised three successful county-wide eco-home open days, attracting over 2,000 visitors to eco-renovated homes. The ClimateXchange project is now dormant, but I contribute to the on-going development of the Oxfordshire Low Carbon Hub and Community Action Groups Oxfordshire.
I hold an MSc in Energy and Environment Studies from the Centre for Alternative Technology / UEL, and a BA in social anthropology and English from the University of Manchester.
- Berry, S., Sharp, A., Hamilton, J. and Killip, G. (2014) Inspiring low-energy retrofits: the influence of ‘open home’ events. Building Research and Information, 42(4): 422-433.
- Grunewald, P., Hamilton, J., Mayne, R. and Beaudry, K. (2014) How community energy initiatives generate and distribute value.. BEHAVE Energy Conference, 3rd-4th September 2014, Oxford.
- Hobson, K., Hamilton, J. and Mayne, R. (2014) Monitoring and evaluation in UK low-carbon community groups: benefits, barriers and the politics of the local. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability.
- Hamilton, J., Mayne, R., Bergman, N. and Parag, Y. (2013) Scaling up local energy: the role of partnerships, networks and policy. ECEEE Conference. 3rd-6th June 2013, France.
- Parag, Y., Hamilton, J., White, V. and Hogan, B. (2013) Network approach for local and community governance of energy: The case of Oxfordshire. Energy Policy.
- Hamilton, J. (2010) Keeping up with the Joneses in the Great British refurb: the impacts and limits of social learning in eco-renovation. In, Whitmarsh, L., O'Neill, S. and Lorenzoni, I. (eds.) Engaging the Public with Climate Change: Behaviour Change and Communication. Earthscan. 288 pp. ISBN: 9781844079285.