Dr Nick Eyre
Position:Leader, ECI Energy Research Programme: Lower Carbon Futures
Jackson Senior Research Fellow at Oriel College and Associate Professor
t: 01865 285129
Member:School of Geography and the Environment Climate Systems and Policy Research Cluster
ECI Energy Research Theme
Dr Nick Eyre is a Jackson Senior Research Fellow in Energy at the ECI and Oriel College. He also leads the ECI programme on Lower Carbon Futures. He is a Co-Director of the multi-university collaboration, the UK Energy Research Centre, leading its research work on energy demand. He teaches on option on energy policy on the Environmental Change and Management MSc course.
Nick has worked as a researcher, consultant and manager on energy and environmental issues since 1984. His interests focus on energy policy, especially with respect to energy demand, energy efficiency and small scale conversion and supply. He has published extensively on energy, climate, environment and transport issues. He is co-author of a book on carbon markets.
Nick worked at the Energy Saving Trust from 1999 to 2007, initially as Head of Policy and, from 2002, as Director of Strategy. He was responsible for the Trust's work on public policy issues, business development and long term business strategy. In 2001, he was seconded to the Cabinet Office, Performance and Innovation Unit, where he was a co-author of the Government's Review of Energy Policy. He led work streams on energy efficiency and long term energy scenarios.
Previously, Nick worked as a researcher and analyst on energy and environment issues, initially in the Energy Technology Support Unit (ETSU) and then as an independent consultant. He was one of the UK's first researchers on mitigation of carbon emissions, and was co-author of a presentation to the Cabinet on this issue in 1989. In 1997, he wrote the first published study on how the Government's 20% carbon emission reduction target might be delivered. He has advised successive Government ministers and a wide range of Parliamentary inquiries. He managed a large European Commission programme on the external costs of energy and was lead author of the report used as the basis for the UK Government's first estimate of the social cost of carbon.
Nick holds an MA in Physics and D.Phil in Nuclear Physics from the University of Oxford. He is a Fellow of the Energy Institute and an Honorary Fellow of the Society for the Environment.
He was a County Councillor in Oxfordshire from 1987 to 1993, taking an active role in the development of Oxfordshire's first environmental strategy, traffic calming, CFC capture and opposition to new road building.
Nick's long term research interest is the role of public policy in reducing energy demand and improving energy efficiency, in the context that progress will require a combination of technical, social and policy change. His current research interests cover:
- Energy demand in energy market reform
- Market based instruments for energy efficiency
- Energy demand in the transition to a low carbon society
- The role of local government, trade groups and local communities in energy
- The interaction energy systems with other components of infrastructure.
Current research grants are:
NERC, NE/G007748/1, UK Energy Research Centre (Co-Director Energy Demand), May 2009- April 2014.
EPSRC, EP/G031681/1, Supergen Highly Distributed Power Systems (Co-I), October 2009 - September 2013.
EPSRC, EP/H051163/1, Building expertise: A System of Professions Approach to Low Carbon Housing Refurbishment, September 2010 - August 2013.
ESRC, ES/I006664/1, Evaluating the impacts, effectiveness and success of DECC-funded low carbon communities on localised energy behaviours (EVALOC) (Co-I), January 2011 - December 2013.
EPSRC, EP/I01344X/1. UK Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium (Co-I), January 2011 - December 2015.
2011 - to date: Member, Ofgem Sustainable Development Advisory Group
2012 - to date: Panel member, Expert Peer Review DECC Energy Analysis Research
2012 - to date: Member, Energy Policy Panel, Institution of Engineering & Technology
2002 - 2003: DTI/Ofgem Embedded Generation Working Group
2003 - 2004: DTI/ Ofgem/Defra Energy Services Working Group
2004 - 2008: Board member, European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy
2005: Defra/Treasury Energy Efficiency Innovation Review Steering Group
2007 - 2011: Advisory Group, ESRC Centre on Research on Livestyles, Behaviour and Environment
2007 - 2008: Expert advisor, National Audit Office study on energy efficiency
2008 - 2009: Selection Panel, Micropower Council Annual Award
2008 - to date: Advisory Committee, European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy
2008 - 2010: Trustee, Pilkington Energy Efficiency Trust
2008 - 2009: Task Force on Energy Efficiency and Urban Development, China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development
2008 - 2011: Lead author, Knowledge Module (Buildings), Global Energy Assessment
2010 - to date: UK Green Energy Supply Certification Scheme Panel member
2010 - to date: Lead Author: 'Buildings' Working Group III, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 5th Assessment Report
- Bradshaw, M., Butler, C., Demski, C., Ekins, P., Eyre, N., Gross, R., Holland, R., McGlade, C., Mitchell, C., Parkhill, K., Pidgeon, N., Skea, J., Spence, A. and Watson, J. (2014) UK Energy in a Global Context - Synthesis Report. UKERC, London.
- Eyre, N. and Baruah, P. (2014) UK Energy Strategies Under Uncertainty: Uncertainties in Energy Demand in Residential Heating. UK Energy Research Centre, UK.
- Hall, J., Henriques, J., Hickford, A., Nicholls, R., Baruah, P., Birkin, M., Chaudry, M., Curtis, T., Eyre, N., Jones, C., Kilsby, C., Leathard, A., Lorenz, A., Malleson, N., McLeod, F., Powrie, W., Preston, J., Rai, N., Street, R., Stringfellow, A., Thoung, C., Tyler, P., Velykiene, R., Watson, G. and Watson, J. (2014) Assessing the Long-Term Performance of Cross-Sectoral Strategies for National Infrastructure. Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
- Lucon, O., Urge-Vorsatz, D., Ahmed, A.Z., Akbari, H., Bertoldi, P., Cabeza, L.F., Eyre, N., Gadgil, A., Harvey, L.D.D., Jiang, Y., Liphoto, E., Mirasgedis, S., Murakami, S., Parikh, J., Pyke, C. and Vilariño, M.V. (2014) Buildings.Chapter 9 in, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 5th Assessment Report, Working Group III Cambirdge University Press, UK.
- Rohde, C., Rosenow, J., Eyre, N. and Giraudet, L. (2014) Energy saving obligations—cutting the Gordian Knot of leverage? Energy Efficiency.
- Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A., Nicholls, R., Alderson, D., Barr, S., Baruah, P., Beavan, R., Birkin, M., Blainey, S., Byers, E., Chaudry, M., Curtis, T., Ebrahimy, R., Eyre, N., Hiteva, R., Jenkins, N., Jones, C., Kilsby, C., Leathard, A., Manning, L., Otto, A., Oughton, E., Powrie, W., Preston, J., Qadrdan, M., Thoung, C., Tyler, P., Watson, J., Watson, G. and Zuo, C. (2014) National infrastructure assessment: Analysis of options for infrastructure provision in Great Britain, Interim results. Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford.
- Watson, J., Fross, R., Ketsopoulou, I. and Winskel, M. (2014) UK Energy Strategies Under Uncertainty - Synthesis Report. UK Energy Research Centre, London.
- Eyre, N. (2013) Decentralisation of governance in the low carbon transition. In, Fouquet, R. (ed.) The Handbook of Energy and Climate Change. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham. ISBN: 978 0 85793 368 3.
- Hoggett, R., Eyre, N. and Keay, M. (2013) Demand and Energy Security. In, Mitchell, C., Watson, J. and Whiting, J. (eds.) New Challenges in Energy Security: The UK in a Multipolar World. Palgrave, London.
- Mallaburn, P. and Eyre, N. (2013) Lessons from energy efficiency policy and programmes in the UK from 1973 to 2013. Energy Efficiency.
- Rosenow, J. and Eyre, N. (2013) The Green Deal and the Energy Company Obligation. Proceedings of the ECI - Energy, 166(3): 127-136.
- Rosenow, J., Eyre, N., Buerger, V. and Rohde, C. (2013) Overcoming the upfront investment barrier - comparing the German CO2 Building Rehabilitation Programme and the British Green Deal. Energy and Environment, 24(1): 83-104.
- Anable, J., Brand, C., Tran, M. and Eyre, N. (2012) Modelling transport energy demand: A socio-technical approach. Energy Policy, 41: 125-138.
- Eyre, N. (2012) Energy Efficiency in the UK - What Next? Energy in Buildings and Industry.
- Eyre, N. (2012) Energy Saving in Energy Market Reform - The Feed-in Tariffs Option. Energy Policy, 52: 190-198.
- Eyre, N. and Rosenow, J. (2012) Green deal and the energy company obligation - will it work?. Proceedings of British Institute of Energy Economics 9th Academic Conference. European Energy in a Challenging World: The impact of emerging markets. St Johns College, Oxford, 19-20 September 2012.
- Eyre, N., Rosenow, J., Wade, J., Wilson, C. and Lowe, R. (2012) UK Energy Research Centre response to the Green Deal.. UKERC.
- Hall, J.W., Henriques, J.J., Hickford, A.J. and Nicholls, R.J. (2012) A Fast Track Analysis of strategies for infrastructure provision in Great Britain: Technical report. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford.
- Rosenow, J. and Eyre, N. (2012) Will the Green Deal revolutionise UK housing? Energy World, 410: 34-35.
- Urge-Vorsatz, D., Eyre, N., Graham, P., Harvey, L.D.D., Hertwich, E., Jochem, E., Kornevall, C., Majumdar, M., McMahon, H., Mirasgedis, S., Murakami, S., Novikova, A., Jiang, Y., Masera, O., McNeil, M., de T’Serclaes, P., Tirado-Herrero, S., Petrichenko, K. and Janda, K. (2012) Towards Sustainable Energy End Use: Buildings, in Global Energy Assessment. Chapter 10 in, Global Energy Assessment: Toward a Sustainable Future. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. 1888 pp. ISBN: 9781107005198.
- Bergman, N. and Eyre, N. (2011) What role for microgeneration in a shift to a low carbon domestic energy sector in the UK? Energy Efficiency, 4(3): 335-353.
- Eyre, N. (2011) Demand reduction and low carbon supply - friends or enemies? Proceedings of Energy and People: Futures, complexity and challenges Conference.. Oxford, September 2011.
- Eyre, N. (2011) Efficiency, demand reduction or electrification?. Proceedings of the European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy Summer Study 2011, Hyeres, France.
- Eyre, N. (2011) Energy Demand, Governance and Scale, in Low-Carbon Futures: contending geographies of distribution and centralisation. In, Geographies of Energy Transition: Security, Climate and Governance. .
- Eyre, N., Flanagan, B. and Double, K. (2011) Engaging People in Saving Energy on a Large Scale: Lessons from the Programmes of the Energy Saving Trust in the UK. Engaging the Public With Climate Change: Behaviour Change and Communication: 141-159.
- Eyre, N., Pavan, M. and Bodineau, L. (2011) Energy Company Obligations to Save Energy in Italy, the UK and France: What have we learnt? The European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (eceee). eceee 2009 Summer Study proceedings - Act! Innovate! Deliver! Reducing energy demand sustainably. pp. 225-236(12). ISBN: 9789163344541.
- Skea, J., Hardy, J., Gross, R., Mitchell, C., Baker, P., Eyre, N. and Ekins, P. (2011) UKERC response to DECC Electricity Market Reform consultation. UK Energy Research Centre.
- Willis, R. and Eyre, N. (2011) Demanding less: why we need a new politics of energy?. Green Alliance. ISBN: 978-1-905869-51-0.
- Eyre, N. (2010) Policing carbon: design and enforcement options for personal carbon trading. Climate Policy, 10(4): 432-446.
- Eyre, N., Anable, J., Brand, C., Layberry, R. and Strachan, N. (2010) The way we live from now on: lifestyle and energy consumption. Chapter 9 in, Skea, J., Ekins, P. and M. Winskel (eds.) Energy 2050: Making the Transition to a Secure Low Carbon Energy System. Earthscan. 408 pp. ISBN: 9781849710848.
- Eyre, N., Flanagan, B. and Double, K. (2010) Engaging people in saving energy on a large scale: lessons from the programmes of the Energy Saving Trust in the UK. In, Whitmarsh, L., O'Neill, S. and Lorenzoni, I. (eds.) Engaging the Public with Climate Change: Behaviour Change and Communication. Earthscan. 288 pp. ISBN: 9781844079285.
- Parag, Y. and Eyre, N. (2010) Barriers to personal carbon trading in the policy arena. Climate Policy, 10(4): 353-368.
- Brohé, A., Eyre, N. and Howarth, N. (2009) Carbon Markets: An International Business Guide. Earthscan, London and New York. pp. 328. ISBN: 978-1-84407-727-4.
- Eyre, N., Pavan, M. and Bodineau, L. (2009) Energy company obligations to save energy in Italy, the UK and France: what have we learnt?. Proceedings of the European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy. 11 pp.
- Jiang, Y. and Eyre, N. (2009) Energy Efficiency and Urban Development (the building sector and the transport sector)..
- Eyre, N. (2008) Regulation of energy suppliers to save energy - lessons from the UK debate. British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE). Proceedings of the British Institute of Energy Economics Conference.
- Eyre, N. and Staniaszek, D. (2005) Energy Efficiency in the UK Energy White paper - How did it get a Central Role?. Proceedings of the European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (eceee) 2005 Summer Study - What works and who delivers?, 30 May - 4 June 2005. pp. 35-44(10). ISBN: 9163140020.
- Eyre, N. and Treasury, H.M. (2005) Energy efficiency innovation review. Defra and HM Treasury, London, UK.
- Eyre, N. (2004) Micro-CHP, Energy Services and Smart Metering-Technological Innovation and Systemic Change. Micro energy systems: review of technology, issues of scale and integration.
- Vine, E., Hamrin, J., Eyre, N., Crossley, D., Maloney, M. and Watt, G. (2003) Public policy analysis of energy efficiency and load management in changing electricity businesses. Energy Policy, 31(5): 405-430.
- Eyre, N. (2002) The Energy Review. Performance and Innovation Unit, Cabinet Office.
- Eyre, N. (2001) Carbon reduction in the real world: how the UK will surpass its Kyoto obligations. Climate Policy, 1(3): 309-326.
- Eyre, N. (2001) Resource productivity: making more with less. Performance and Innovation Unit, Cabinet Office, London, UK.
- Eyre, N. (1999) Global Warming Damages, ExternE - Externalities of Energy, 8. European Commission.
- Eyre, N. (1998) A golden age or a false dawn? Energy efficiency in UK competitive energy markets. Energy Policy, 26(12): 963-972.
- Eyre, N. (1998) Carbon dioxide emissions trends from the United Kingdom. Promoting Development while Limiting Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Trends and Baselines, United Nations Development Programme.
- Eyre, N. (1998) Uncertainty in valuing the future impacts of climate change. In, Audus, H. (ed.) The Assessment of Climate Change Damages. international Energy Agency (IEA) Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme, Cheltenham, UK.
- Rabl, A. and Eyre, N. (1998) An estimate of regional and global O3 damage from precursor NOx and VOC emissions. Environment International, 24(8): 835-850.
Recent Invited Presentations
- Willis, R. and Eyre, N. Demanding less: The new politics of energy. Invited presentation to Ofgem seminar. 29th May 2012.
- Eyre, N. Energy efficiency - are the critiques valid? Oxford Institute of Energy Studies. 8th March 2012.
- Eyre. N. Understanding Local and Community Governance of Energy. Low carbon Communities Network conference. West Oxford, 14th January 2012.
- Eyre. N. Reflections after RESOLVE. RESOLVE project seminar. University of Surrey, 31st October 2011.
- Eyre, N. The role of energy demand in a low carbon future. University of Oxford Alumni Day. 17th September 2011.
- Eyre, N. Feed-in Tariffs for Energy Saving. Presentation, Falmouth Energy Week, University of Exeter, May 2011.
- The economic context of low carbon housing refurbishment. Invited presentation to Oxfordshire Sustainable Consumption conference, Oxford, 10th December 2010.
- UK Energy 2050: the Transition to a Secure Low Carbon Energy System for the UK. Keynote presentation to the Environment Agency Annual Conference, London, November 2010.
- Personal Carbon Trading. Invited seminar to Environment Agency, January 2010.
- Energy Demand in Buildings and Transport. Conservative Party Energy spokespeople, January 2010.
- UK Energy Efficiency Policy. China-EU CDM Facilitation Group, November, 2009.
- The UK Energy Research Landscape. International Energy Agency. Energy Conservation in Building and Community Systems Meeting, November, 2009.
- Energy efficiency and energy demand perspectives. BIEE Conference "Sustainable Energy - the next Crisis?", September, 2009.
- The impact of lifestyle and social change on the UK energy system. RESOLVE conference on "Sustainable lives? The challenges of low-carbon living in a changing economic climate". June, 2009.
- The impact of lifestyle and social change on the UK energy system in 2050. EdF Workshop - Le printemps de la recherche. Paris, June 2009.
- Energy: Some international and national perspectives. Oxford Energy Futures Conference, June 2009.
- Low Carbon Technology: The Demand Side and Energy Efficiency. Imperial College, April 2009.
- A Low Carbon Future: Challenges for the Energy System. Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment seminar. University of Bath. March, 2009
- Trading "Negawatts": Markets in energy efficiency Oxford Institute of Energy Studies Seminar. February 2009
- Energy Efficiency and Buildings. Chevening Fellowship Programme on "The Economics of Energy". Birmingham, January 2009.
- Setting the context: policy. ERP/ RAE/ ETI Heat Workshop. London, January 2009.
- UK policy to promote energy efficiency and emissions reductions. Shanghai SMDRC, November 2008.
Parliamentary Committee Oral Evidence
- Environmental Audit Committee Inquiry on Personal Carbon Allowances, 17th July 2007.
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee Inquiry on "Climate Change - The Citizen's Agenda, 25th October 2006.
- Environmental Audit Committee Pre-Budget Report Inquiry, 1st February 2006.
- Environmental Audit Committee Inquiry "Keeping the Lights On: Nuclear, Renewables and Climate Change", 26th October 2005.
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee Inquiry on "Climate Change: Looking Forward", 23rd February 2005.
- House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology Inquiry on "Energy Efficiency", seminar 19th October and hearing 8th December 2004.
- Environmental Audit Committee Inquiry on "Fiscal Instruments and Energy Policy", 4th February 2004 and 19th May 2004.
- Trade and Industry Select Committee Inquiry on "Energy Security", 4th December 2001.
- Trade and Industry Select Committee Inquiry on "The Climate Change Levy", 6th July 1999.
- Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution Inquiry into Energy. 8th April 1999.
- Environment Select Committee Inquiry on "Climate Change", 24th March 1999.
- Environmental Audit Committee Inquiry on "Energy Efficiency", 20th January 1999.