Dr Lauren Coad
Position:Oxford Martin School Research Fellow
t: +44 01865 275854
Member:ECI Ecosystems Research Theme
Lauren Coad is a James Martin Research Fellow at the Environmental Change Institute, investigating the effectiveness of protected areas in reducing deforestation, and the governance and sustainability of bushmeat hunting in Central Africa.
Before beginning at Oxford in April 2009, Lauren worked for 2 years at UNEP-WCMC in the protected areas programme. She gained her PhD in conservation biology from the University of Cambridge in 2007, and also holds a BSc(Hons) in environmental and marine biology from the University of St Andrews.
Lauren teaches protected area governance and introductory GIS for the MSc in Environmental Change and Management, and MSc in Biodiversity, Conservation and Management courses. She is also a guest lecturer on MSc courses at Imperial College London and the University of Copenhagen.
- Measuring the effectiveness of different protected area management and governance systems in reducing deforestation
In collaboration with the University of Copenhagen and the University of Queensland, this project will employ a number of global and national-scale datasets to measure protected area effectiveness, using a landscape modelling approach. As part of this project we are working to update and analyse the Protected Areas Management Effectiveness (PAME) database, which is linked to the World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA), and holds information on the management and governance of over 6000 protected areas worldwide. National case-studies will include Tanzania and Peru.
- Measuring the sustainability of bushmeat hunting in Central Africa
Following on from my doctoral research, I am working alongside the Institut de Recherche en Écologie Tropicale (IRET) in Gabon, on a number of projects which aim to measure the current ecological, economic and social impacts of bushmeat hunting in Gabon and DRC, and design new tools for monitoring hunting sustainability.
- Valuing the cultural context of resource governance in CBNRM project planning and implementation
Building on previous projects in collaboration with IIED, exploring the characteristics of Community-Based Natural Resource Management systems in West and Central Africa, I am currently working with partners at IRET to investigate the changing face of community governance systems in rural Gabon, and the impacts of these changes on CBNRM project planning, implementation and success.
- Henschel, P., Coad, L., Burton, C., Chataigner, B., Dunn, A., MacDonald, D., Saidu, Y. and Hunter, L.T.B. (2014) The Lion in West Africa Is Critically Endangered. PLoS ONE, 9(1)(e83500).
- Abernethy, K.A., Coad, L., Taylor, G., Lee, M.E. and Maisels, F. (2013) Extent and ecological consequences of hunting in Central African rainforests in the twenty-first century. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B, 368(1625).
- Bahaa-el-din, L., Coad, L. et al. (2013) Notes on the distribution and status of small carnivores in Gabon. Small Carnivore Conservation, 48: 19-29.
- Coad, L., Leverington, F., Burgess, N., Cuadros, I., Geldmann, J., Marthews, T.R., Mee, J., Nolte, C., Stoll-Kleemann, S., Vansteelant, N., Zamora, C., Zimsky, M. and Hockings, M. (2013) Progress towards the CBD Protected Area Management Effectiveness targets. PARKS, 19(1).
- Coad, L., Schleicher, J., Starkey, M., Milner-Gulland, E.J., Marthews, T.R., Manica, A., Balmford, A., Mbombe, W., Ndop, T. and Abernethy, K.A. (2013) Social, economic and ecological change over a decade in a village hunting system, Central Gabon. Conservation Biology.
- Geldmann, J., Barnes, M., Coad, L., Craigie, I., Hockings, M. and Burgess, N. (2013) Effectiveness of terrestrial protected areas in maintaining biodiversity and reducing habitat loss. Systematic review. Environmental Evidence.
- Geldmann, J., Barnes, M., Coad, L., Craigie, I.D., Hockings, M. and Burgess, N.D. (2013) Effectiveness of terrestrial protected areas in reducing habitat loss and population declines. Biological Conservation, 161: 230-238.
- Green, J.M.H., Larrosa, C., Burgess, N.D., Balmford, A., Johnston, A., Mbilinyi, B., Platts, P.J. and Coad, L. (2013) Deforestation in an African biodiversity hotspot: Extent, variation and the effectiveness of protected areas. Biological Conservation, 164: 62-72.
- McDermott, C., Helfgott, A., Schroeder, H. and Coad, L. (2012) Operationalizing social safeguards in REDD+: Actors, interests and ideas. Environmental Science and Policy, 21: 63-72.
- Vuohelainen, A., Coad, L. and Marthews, T.R. (2012) The effectiveness of contrasting protected areas in preventing deforestation in Madre de Dios, Peru. Environmental Management, 50(4): 645-663.
- Forrest, J.L., Bomhard, B., Budiman, A., Coad, L., Cox, N., Dinerstein, E., Hammer, D., Huang, C., Huy, K., Kraft, R., Lysenko, I. and Magrath, W. (2011) Single-species conservation in a multiple-use landscape: current protection of the tiger range. Animal Conservation, 14(3): 283-294.
- Henschel, P., Hunter, L., Coad, L., Abernethy, K. and Muhlenberg, M. (2011) Leopard prey choice in the Congo Basin rainforest reveals strong exploitative competition from human bushmeat hunters. Journal of Zoology, 285(1): 11-20.
- Osti, M., Coad, L., Fisher, J., Bomhard, B. and Hutton, J. (2011) Oil and gas development in the World Heritage and wider protected area network in sub-Saharan Africa. Biodiversity and Conservation, 20(9): 1863-1877.
- Coad, L., Abernethy, K., Balmford, A., Manica, A. and Milner-Gulland, E.J. (2010) Distribution and use of income from bushmeat in a rural village, central Gabon. Conservation Biology, 24(6): 1510-1518.
- Coad, L., Burgess, N., Loucks, C., Fish, L., Scharlemann, J.P.W., Duarte, L. and Besancon, C. (2010) Reply to Jenkins and Joppa - expansion of the global terrestrial protected area system. Biological Conservation, 143(1): 5-6.
- Coad, L., Tanga, J-J., Maisels, F., Bout, N., Fay, M., Henschel, P., Lengletb, G., Mihindou, Y., Puit, M., Starkey, M., White, L. and Pauwels, O.S.G. (2010) New range limits of the Sun-tailed Monkey, Cercopithecus solatus, in central Gabon. Primate Conservation, 25: 33-41.
- Leverington, F., Costa, K.L., Courrau, J., Pavese, H., Nolte, C., Marr, M., Coad, L., Burgess, N., Bomhard, B. and Hockings, M. (2010) Management Effectiveness Evaluation in Protected Areas - A global study, 2nd edition. The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. 192 pp.
- Binot, A., Blomley, T., Coad, L., Nelson, F., Roe, D. and Sandbrook, C. (2009) Community involvement in natural resources management in Africa - regional overviews. In, Roe D. and Nelson, F. and Sandbrook, C. (eds.) Community Management of Natural Resources in Africa: Impacts, Experiences and Future Directions, Volume 18 of IIED natural resource issues. IIED. ISBN: 9781843697558.
- Binot, A., Blomley, T., Coad, L., Nelson, F., Roe, D. and Sandbrook, C. (2009) What has CBNRM achieved in Africa? The '3Es' - empowerment, economics, environment. In, Roe D. and Nelson, F. and Sandbrook, C. (eds.) Community Management of Natural Resources in Africa: Impacts, Experiences and Future Directions, Volume 18 of IIED natural resource issues. IIED. ISBN: 9781843697558.
- Campbell, A., Kapos, V., Scharlemann, J.P.W., Bubb, P., Chenery, A., Coad, L., Dickson, B., Doswald, N., Khan, M.S.I., Kershaw, F. and others (2009) Review of the literature on the links between biodiversity and climate change: impacts, adaptation and mitigation. CBD Technical Series(42).
- Coad, L., Burgess, N.D., Bomhard, B. and Besancon, C. (2009) Progress Towards the Convention on Biological Diversity’s 2010 and 2012 Targets for Protected Area Coverage.. 'Looking to the Future of the CBD Programme of Work on Protected Areas', Jeju Island, Republic of Korea.
- Coad, L., Burgess, N.D., Loucks, C., Fish, L., Scharlemann, J.P.W., Duarte, L. and Besanon, C. (2009) The ecological representativeness of the global protected areas estate in 2009: progress towards the CBD 2010 target. United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) World Conservation Monitoring Centre (WCMC).
- Papworth, S.K., Rist, J., Coad, L., Milner-Gull and , E.J. (2009) Evidence for shifting baseline syndrome in conservation. Conservation letters, 2(2): 93-100.
- Schmitt, C.B., Burgess, N.D., Coad, L., Belokurov, A., Besanon, C., Boisrobert, L., Campbell, A., Fish, L., Gliddon, D. and Humphries, K. (2009) Global analysis of the protection status of the worlds forests. Biological Conservation, 142(10): 2122-2130.
- Campbell, A., Clark, S., Coad, L., Bolt, M. and Roe, D. (2008) Protecting the future: carbon, forests, protected areas and local livelihoods. Biodiversity. UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge. pp. 117-121(5).
- Coad, L., Burgess, N.D., Fish, L., Ravillious, C., Corrigan, C., Pavese, H., Granziera, A. and Besancon, C. (2008) Progress Towards the Convention on Biological Diversitys 2010 and 2012 Targets for Protected Areas. Parks Durban Plus 5 The International Journal for Protected Area Coverage, 17(2): 35-42.
- Coad, L., Campbell, A., Miles, L. and Humphries, K. (2008) The costs and benefits of forest protected areas on local livelihoods: A review of the current literature. The United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge.
- Coad, L., Corrigan, C., Campbell, A., Granziera, A., Burgess, N., Fish, L., Ravillious, C., Mills, C., Miles, L., Kershaw, F., Lysenko, I., Pavese, H. and Besançon, C. (2008) State of the World's Protected Areas 2007: An Annual Review of Global Conservation Progress. UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge.
- Coad, L. (2007) Le commerce de la viande de brousse en Afrique Central. InfoTRAFFIC, 8: 3-4.