Dr Chris Jardine
Chris is a research analyst in the Lower Carbon Futures team and studies technologies for greenhouse gas emission reductions. Primarily, Chris's focus is on renewables, especially the use of solar photovoltaics within the household and on commercial buildings. The ECI has undertaken extensive monitoring of solar technologies in the PV-Compare project and as part of the Government's Large-scale Building-integrated Photovoltaic field trial. Chris is currently examining how massive numbers of small-scale renewables and microgeneration can be incorporated into the electricity grid as part of the SUPERGEN consortium on Highly Distributed Power Systems. The ECI's work on this consortium project involves scenario creation, electricity network modelling and policy requirements to support the development of a highly distributed power system.
Chris has also completed a number of other initiatives at the ECI, most notably accounting for the environmental impact of aviation emissions. Chris’s background in chemistry allows him to combine the impacts of atmospheric chemistry with energy and policy issues to produce models for calculating emissions for offsetting or corporate reporting purposes.
Chris has also undertaken a series of smaller projects at ECI including work on the 40% house, methane uk examining methane's role as a greenhouse gas, market transformation and developing a code of practice for green electricity suppliers.
- Staffell, I., Baker, P., Barton, J., Bergman, N., Blanchard, R., Brandon, N.P., Brett, D.J.L., Hawkes, A., Infield, D., Jardine, C., Kelly, N., Leach, M., Matian, M., Peacock, A.D., Sudtharalingam, S. and Woodman, B. (2011) UK Microgeneration. Part II: technology overviews. Proceedings of the ICE - Energy, 163(4): 143-166.
- Hawkes, A., Bergman, N., Jardine, C., Staffell, I., Brett, D. and Brandon, N. (2010) A change of scale? Prospects for distributed energy resources. In, Skea, J., Ekins, P. and M. Winskel (eds.) Energy 2050 - Making the Transition to a Secure Low Carbon Energy System. Earthscan. 408 pp. ISBN: 9781849710848.
- Bergman, N. and Jardine, C. (2009) Power from the people: Domestic microgeneration and the Low Carbon Buildings Programme., ECI Resear UKERC 48 pp. ISBN: 1 874 370 46x.
- Bergman, N., Hawkes, A., Brett, D.J.L., Baker, P., Barton, J., Blanchard, R., Brandon, N.P., Infield, D., Jardine, C., Kelly, N., Leach, M., Matian, M., Peacock, A.P., Staffell, I., Sudtharalingam, S. and Woodman, B. (2009) UK microgeneration. Part I: policy and behavioural aspects. Energy, 162(1): 23-36.
- Curtis, D. and Jardine, C.N. (2009) Electrifying Clinics in Rural Ghana. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford. Final Report..
- Jardine, C. and Bergman, N. (2009) The status of the UK domestic PV market - A review of the impact of the low carbon building programme. Photovoltaic Science Applications and Technology (PVSAT)
- Jardine, C.N. (2009) Calculating The Carbon Dioxide Emissions of Flights. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford. Final report.
- Jardine, C.N. (2008) Synthesis of high resolution domestic electricity load profiles. 1st International Conference & Workshop on Micro-Cogeneration Technologies and Applications, 29 April - 1 May 2008.. 1-8.
- Jardine, C.N. and Ault, G.W. (2008) Scenarios for examination of highly distributed power systems. Journal of Power and Energy, 222(7): 643-655.
- Jardine, C.N. (2007) Performance Of West Oxfordshire District Council Offices Photovoltaic Arrays. 3rd Photovoltaic Science, Applications and Technology Conference (PVSAT-3), 28-30 March 2007.
- Boardman, B., Jardine, C. and Lipp, J. (2006) Green Electricity Code of Practice: A Scoping Study. Environmental Change Institute. Oxford University Centre for the Environment, University of Oxford, UK
- Jardine, C.N. (2005) Calculating the Environmental Impact of Aviation Emissions. Environmental Change Institute (ECI), University of Oxford
- Betts, T.R., Jardine, C.N., Gottschalg, R., Infield, D.G. and Lane, K. (2004) Spectral dependence of amorphous silicon photovoltaic device performance. International Journal of Ambient Energy, 25(1): 26-32.
- Jardine, C., Boardman, B., Osman, A., Vowles, J. and Palmer, J. (2003) Methane UK.(30) Environmental Change Institute (ECI), Oxford, UK.
- Jardine, C.N. and Lane, K. (2003) Photovoltaics in the UK An introductory guide for new consumers..
- Gottschalg, R., Jardine, C.N., Ruther, R., Betts, T.R., Conibeer, G.J., Close, J., Infield, D.G., Kearney, M.J., Lam, K.H., Lane, K. and others (2002) Performance of amorphous silicon double junction photovoltaic systems in different climatic zones. IEEE 29th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2002.. 1699-1702.
- Jardine, C.N. and Lane, K. (2002) PV-COMPARE: Relative Performance of Photovoltaic Technologies in Northern and Southern Europe. PV in Europe Conference and Exhibition.
- Jardine, C.N., Betts, T.R., Gottschalg, R., Infield, D.G. and Lane, K. (2002) Influence of spectral effects on the performance of multijunction amorphous silicon cells. Proceedings of PV in Europe: From PV Technology to Energy Solutions Conference and Exhibition.
- Jardine, C.N., Conibeer, G.J. and Lane, K. (2001) PV-COMPARE: direct comparison of eleven PV technologies at two locations in northern and southern Europe. Proceedings of the 17th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition (EU PVSEC).