Dr Benoit Guillod
Honorary Research Associate
Benoit joined the ECI in 2014 to work on the MaRIUS project (Managing the Risks, Impacts and Uncertainties of drought and water Scarcity). His task is to use weather@home to produce a validated, synthetic set of droughts and heat waves within the framework of probabilistic event attribution in the UK.
Benoit did his Bachelor studies in Environmental Sciences and Engineering at EPFL in Lausanne, Switzerland, including an exchange year at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras in Chennai, India. He then did his Master studies in Environmental Sciences at ETH Zurich, specializing in atmospheric and climate science and doing an internship funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation in Tanzania, where he worked on a project of energy-efficient cooking stoves. He then obtained his doctoral degree early 2014, with his dissertation entitled "Observational and Modelling investigations of land-precipitation coupling" in the group of Sonia I. Seneviratne at ETH Zurich, and worked there a few months as a researcher before joining ECI.
- Land-atmosphere interactions
- Attribution of extreme events
- Regional climate modelling
- Borgomeo, E., Mortazavi-Naeini, M., Hall, J.W. and Guillod, B.P. (2018) Risk, Robustness and Water Resources Management under Uncertainty. Earth's Future.
- Guillod, B.P., Jones, R.G., Dadson, S.J., Coxon, G., Bussi, G., Freer, J., Kay, A.L., Massey, N.R., Sparrow, S.N., Wallom, D.C.H., Allen, M.R., and Hall, J.W. (2018) A large set of potential past, present and future hydro-meteorological time series for the UK. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 22: 611-634.
- Kay, A.L., Bell, V.A., Guillod, B.P., Jones, R.G. and Rudd, A.C. (2018) National-scale analysis of low flow frequency: historical trends and potential future changes. Climatic Change: 1-15.
- Guillod, B.P., Jones, R.G., Bowery, A., Haustein, K., Massey, N.R., Mitchell, D.M., Otto, F.E.L., Sparrow, S.N., Uhe, P., Wallom, D.C.H., Wilson, S. and Allen, M.R. (2017) weather@home 2: validation of an improved global - regional climate modelling system. Geoscientific Model Development, 10: 1849-1872.
- Guillod, B.P., Jones, R.G., Kay, A.L., Massey, N.R., Sparrow, S., Wallom, D.C.H. and Wilson, S.S. (2017) Managing the Risks, Impacts and Uncertainties of drought and water Scarcity (MaRIUS) project: Large set of potential past and future climate time series for the UK from the weather@home2 model. Centre for Environmental Data Analysis.
- Hsu, H., Lo, M.H., Guillod, B.P., Miralles, D.G., Kumar, S. (2017) Relation between precipitation location and antecedent/subsequent soil moisture spatial patterns. Journal of Geophysical Research, Atmospheres.
- Philip, S.Y., Kew, S.F., Hauser, M., Guillod, B.P., Teuling, A.J., Whan, K., Uhe, P. and Van Oldenborgh, G.J. (2017) Western US high June 2015 temperatures and their relation to global warming and soil moisture. Climate Dynamics.
- Bennett, G., Roering, J., Mackey, B., Handwergr, A., Guillod, B. and Schmidt, D. (2016) Geomorphic response to historic drought in northern California. EGU General Assembly 2016, held 17-22 April, 2016 in Vienna Austria.
- Bennett, G.L., Roering, J.J., Mackey, B.H., Handwerger, A.L., Schmidt, D.A. and Guillod, B.P. (2016) Historic drought puts the brakes on earthflows in Northern California. Geophysical Research Letters, 43(11): 5725-5731.
- Mitchell, D., Davini, P., Harvey, B., Massey, N., Haustein, K., Woolings, T., Jones, R., Otto, F., Guillod, B., Sparrow, S., Wallom, D. and Allen, M. (2016) Assessing mid-latitude dynamics in extreme event attribution systems. Climate Dynamics, 48(306): 1-13.
- Mitchell, D.M., Heaviside, C., Vardoulakis, S., Huntingford, C., Masato, G., Guillod, B.P., Frumhoff, P.C., Bowery, A. and Allen, M.R. (2016) Attributing human mortality during extreme heat waves to anthropogenic climate change. Environmental Research Letters, 11(7). 074006.
- Sippel, S., Otto, F., Forkel, M., Allen, M., Guillod, B., Heimann, M., Reichstein, M., Seneviratne, S., Thonicke, K. and Mahecha, M. (2016) A novel bias correction methodology for climate impact simulations. Earth System Dynamics, 7(1): 71-88.
- Findell, K.L., Gentine, P., Lintner, B.R. and Guillod, B.P. (2015) Data Length Requirements for Observational Estimates of Land-Atmosphere Coupling Strength. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 16(4): 1615-1635.
- Guillod, B., James, R., Massey, N., Otto, F., Hall, J., Allen, M. (2015) Modelling extreme weather in a changing climate: Potential applications for the insurance industry.
- Guillod, B.P., Orlowsky, B., Miralles, D.G., Teuling, A.J., Seneviratne, S.I. (2015) Reconciling spatial and temporal soil moisture effects on afternoon rainfall. Nature Communications, 6(6443).
- Lejeune, Q., Davin, E.L., Guillod, B.P. and Seneviratne, S.I. (2015) Influence of Amazonian deforestation on the future evolution of regional surface fluxes, circulation, surface temperature and precipitation. Climate Dynamics, 44(9-10): 2769-2786.
- Guillod, B.P. (2014) Observational and modelling investigations of land-precipitation coupling. Published Thesis, ETH-Zürich, Zürich.
- Guillod, B.P., Orlowsky, B., Miralles, D., Teuling, A.J., Blanken, P.D., Buchmann, N., Ciais, P., Ek, M., Findell, K.L., Gentine, P., Lintner, B.R., Scott, R.L., Van den Hurk, B. and Seneviratne, S.I. (2014) Land surface controls on afternoon precipitation diagnosed from observational data: uncertainties and confounding factors. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14: 8343-8367.