Dr Benjamin Blonder
NERC Independent Research Fellow
Benjamin am a plant macroecologist with research interests in building more a more robust biodiversity science that is capable of explaining the processes structuring communities as well as predicting their future dynamics under global change scenarios. To address these problems, he use a combination of mathematical modeling, fieldwork, and eco-informatics (statistical) approaches. Current field projects are located in Colorado, Peru, Malaysia, and Norway.
Benjamin received my Ph.D. with Brian Enquist at the University of Arizona, and has had visiting positions at the Center for Macroecology, Evolution, and Climate in Copenhagen (Denmark) as well as in the eco-informatics group at Aarhus University (Denmark). He currently has a dual appointment at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim).
- Blonder, B., Lamanna, C., Violle, V., Enquist, B. (2017) Using n-dimensional hypervolumes for species distribution modelling: A response to Qiao et al. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- Blonder, B., Salinas, N., Patrick-Bentley, L., Shenkin, A., Chambi Porroa, P.O., Valdez Tejeira, Y., Violle, C., Fyllas, N.M., Goldsmith, G.R., Martin, R., Asner, G.P., Diaz, S., Enquist, B.E. and Malhi, Y. (2017) Predicting trait-environment relationships for venation networks along an Andes-Amazon elevation gradient. Ecology, 98(5): 1239-1255.
- Goldsmith, G.R., Bentley, L.P., Shenkin, A., Salinas, N., Blonder, B., Martin, R.E., Castro-Ccossco, R., Chambi-Porroa, P., Diaz, S., Enquist, B.J., Asner, G.P. and Malhi, Y. (2017) Variation in leaf wettability traits along a tropical montane elevation gradient. New Phytologist, 214(3): 989-1001.
- Stark, J., Lehman, R., Crawford, L., Enquist, B., Blonder, B. (2017) Does environmental heterogeneity drive functional trait variation? A test in montane and alpine meadows. Oikos Sythesising Ecology.
- Wu, M.S., Feakins, S.J., Martin, R.E., Martin, R.E., Shenkin, A., Patrick Bentley, L., Blonder, B., Salinas, N., Asner, G. (2017) Altitude effect on leaf wax carbon isotopic composition in humid tropical forests. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 206: 1-17.
- Blonder, B. (2016) Do Hypervolumes Have Holes? The American Naturalist, 187(4): 93-105.
- Blonder, B., Baldwin, B.G., Enquist, B.J. and Robichauz, R.H. (2016) Variation and macroevolution in leaf functional traits in the Hawaiian silversword alliance (Asteraceae). Journal of Ecology, 104(1): 219-228.
- Feakins, S.J., Bentley, L.P., Salinas, N., Shenkin, A., Blonder, B., Goldsmith, G.R., Ponton, C., Arvin, L.J., Wu, M.S., Peters, T., West, A.J., Martin, R.E., Enquist, B.J., Asner, G.P. and Malhi, Y. (2016) Plant leaf wax biomarkers capture gradients in hydrogen isotopes of precipitation from the Andes and Amazon. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 182(1 June 2016): 155-172.
- Feakins, S.J., Peters, T., Wu, M.S., Shenkin, A., Salinas, N., Girardin, C.A.J., Bentley, L.P., Blonder, B., Enquist, B.J., Martin, R.E., Asner, G.P. and Malhi, Y. (2016) Production of leaf wax n-alkanes across a tropical forest elevation transect. Organic Geochemistry, 100: 89-100.
- Loranger, J., Blonder, B., Garnier, E., Shipley, B., Vile, D. and Violle, C. (2016) Occupancy and overlap in trait space along a successional gradient in Mediterranean old fields. American Journal of Botany, 103(6): 1050-1060.
- Morueta-Holme, N., Blonder, B., Sandel, B., McGill, B.J., Peet, R.K., Ott, J.E. Violle, C., Enquist, B.J., Jørgensen, P.M. and Svenning, J.C. (2016) A network approach for inferring species associations from co-occurrence data. Ecography, 39(12): 1139-1150.
- Blonder, B., Nogues-Bravo, D., Borregaard, M.K., Donoghue, J.C., Jorgensen, P.M., Kraft, N.J.B., Lessard, J.P., Morueta-Holme, N., Sandel, B., Svenning, J.C., Violle, C., Rahbek, C. and Enquist, B.J. (2015) Linking environmental filtering and disequilibrium to biogeography with a community climate framework. Ecology, 96(4).
- Blonder, B., Vasseur, F., Violle, C., Shipley, B., Enquist, B.J., Vile, D. (2015) Testing models for the leaf economics spectrum with leaf and whole-plant traits in Arabidopsis thaliana. AoB Plants, 7.