Dr Luiz Aragão
Position:Luiz left the ECI in September 2009 and will be based at Exeter University. He will remain involved in doctoral supervision at ECI.
Member:ECI Ecosystems Research Theme
I am a Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Research Fellow at the Environmental Change Institute. My main research focus is to examine the remote sensing of tropical forest disturbances: such as deforestation, drought and fires, and on-the-ground quantification of carbon stocks and fluxes in tropical forests, specifically in Amazonia, to understand the impacts of human pressures and climate change in this ecosystem. Read more about my NERC fellowship research.
I was granted a 3-year Research Fellowship by NERC in 2008 to study the carbon cycling of fire-affected forests in Amazonia, bridging remote sensing analysis and field-based surveys in Amazonia. I formerly completed my PhD degree from Brazilian Institute of Space Research in 2004 and since completing my PhD, I have been working as a Posdoctoral Research Associated at the Environmental Change Institute.
My research has include a number of fieldwork campaigns in tropical forests, integration of field-based ecological data, satellite remote-sensing and ecological modelling for the understanding of spatial and temporal patterns of carbon dynamics and nutrient cycling in Amazonia and Atlantic forests, from local to regional scales.
I have worked in Amazonia over 8 years being evolved in several projects including the evaluation of the impacts of fire events in Roraima-Brazil in 1998, the LBA Project: Amazonia's Large Scale Atmosphere-Biosphere Experiment, since 2000, I recently joined the RAINFOR – Amazon Forest Inventory Network - project, been involved in three major projects:
- PAN-AMAZONIA – Project for the Advancement of Networked Science in Amazonia, between 2004 and 2006
- Examining the impacts of recent drought in Amazonia in 2006
- Why do different Amazonian forests grow at different rates?
My major contribution has been to show how the high landscape variability, including land cover, land use and topography affect the spatial patterns of the canopy structure and functioning. More recently I have been trying to understand the effects of soil fertility in the patterns of carbon allocation in forest ecosystems across the Amazon.
I am mainly interested in tropical ecosystems ecology, carbon dynamics and nutrient cycling, application of remote sensing for up-scaling ecological variables and understand how land cover and landscape heterogeneity affects forest functioning.
- 2006-Current Co-Investigator in the project “Assessing the impacts of the recent Amazonian drought” NERC grant, PIs: Dr Oliver Phillips and Dr Yadvinder Malhi.
- 2002-2004 Co-Investigator in the project “Seasonality and land use influence on the spatial-temporal dynamics of the primary productivity in the Amazon” FAPESP grant (proc. 02/00985-2), PI: Dr Yosio Shimabukuro.
- 2001-2004 Collaborator in the Large Biosphere-Atmosphere Experiment in the Amazon (LBA), as part of the Carbon Dynamics workgroup (CD 09) project “A Modeling Synthesis of the Impacts of Tropical Forest Conversion on Carbon Fluxes and Storage, and on Nutrient Dynamics in Amazônia”, PIs: Dr Yosio Shimabukuro and Dr Mathew Williams.
- 1995-2000 Research Assistant in the project “Effects of the deforestation on the nutrient cycling of an Atlantic Forest in the north Fluminense (FAPERJ - no E-26/171.008/95-APQ1)”, PI: Dr Dora Villela.
- 1995-1997 Research Assistant in the project "Effects of the deforestation on the structure, floristic composition and regeneration patterns of an Atlantic Forest in the north Fluminense region (Carvão forest) (FAPERJ - no E-26/170.552/95)", PI: Dr. Marcelo Nascimento.
- Manuscript reviews for refereed journals: Tree Physiology (Heron Publishing), Forest Ecology and Management (Elsevier), IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters (IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society), Journal of Environmental Management (Elsevier), Ecological Applications (Ecological Society of America).
- Anderson, L. O., Malhi, Y., Ladle, R. J., Aragão, L.E.O.C., Shimabukuro, Y., Baker, T. R., Costa, A. C. L., Espejo, J. S., Higuchi, N., Laurance, W. F., López-González, G., Monteagudo, A., Núñez, P., Peacock, J., Phillips, O. L., Quesada, C. A., Soares de Almeida, S., Vásquez, R.: Influence of landscape heterogeneity on spatial patterns of wood productivity, wood specific density and above ground biomass in Amazonia, Biogeosciences Discuss, 6, 2039-2083, 2009.
- Aragão, L.E.O.C., Malhi, Y., Metcalfe, D. et al. Above- and below-ground net primary productivity across ten Amazonian forests on contrasting soils, submitted, Biogeosciences Discuss, Accepted.
- Chave J., Navarrete, D., Almeida, S., Alvarez, E., Aragao, L.E.O.C. Bonal, D. Et al. Regional and temporal patterns of litterfall in South America, Biogeosciences Discuss., Accepted, 2009.
- Malhado, A. C. M., R. J. Whittaker, Y. Malhi, R. J. Ladle, H. ter Steege, L. E. O. C. Aragão, C. A. Quesada, A. M. Araujo, O. L. Phillips, J. Peacock, G. López-González, T. R. Baker, N. Butt, L. O. Anderson, L. Arroyo, S. Almeida, N. Higuchi, T. J. Killeen, A. Monteagudo, D. A. Neill, N. C. A. Pitman, A. Prieto, R. P. Salomão, N. Silva, R. Vásquez-M., W. F. Laurance, M. N. Alexiades, and H. Ramírez A.: Spatial distribution and functional significance of leaf lamina shape in Amazonian forest trees, Biogeosciences Discuss., 6, 1837-1874, 2009
- Malhado, A. C. M., Y. Malhi, R. J. Whittaker, R. J. Ladle, H. ter Steege, L. E. O. C. Aragão, C. A. Quesada, A. Araujo-Murakami, O. L. Phillips, J. Peacock, G. Lopez-Gonzalez, T. R. Baker, N. Butt, L. O. Anderson, L. Arroyo, S. Almeida, N. Higuchi, T. J. Killeen, A. Monteagudo, D. Neill, N. Pitman, A. Prieto, R. P. Salomão, N. Silva, R. Vásquez-Martínez, and W. F. Laurance: Spatial trends in leaf size of Amazonian rainforest trees, Biogeosciences Discuss., 6, 2125-2162, 2009
- Malhi, Y., Aragão, L.E.O.C., Metcalfe, D.B., Paiva, R., Quesada, C.A., Almeida, S., Anderson, L., Brando, P., Chambers, J.Q., Costa, A.C.L., Hutyra, L., Oliveira, P., Patiño, S., Pyle, E.H., Robertson, A.L., and Teixeira, L.M.: Comprehensive assessment of carbon productivity, allocation and storage in three Amazonian forests, Glob. Change Biol., Accepted, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2008.01780.x, 2009.
- Malhi, Y., Aragão, L.E.O.C., Galbraith, D. et al. Exploring the likelihood and mechanism of a climate-change-induced dieback of the Amazon rainforest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, doi:10.1073/pnas.0804619106, 2009.
- Phillips, O.L., L.E.O.C. Aragão, S.L. Lewis, J.B. Fisher, J. Lloyd, G. López-González, et al. Drought sensitivity of the Amazon rainforest. Science (accepted 24 December 2008, to be published 6 March 2009).
- Metcalfe, D., Meir, P., Aragão, LEOC, Costa, A. C., Almeida, S., Braga, A., Goncalves, P., Athaydes, J., Malhi, Y., Williams, M. Sample sizes for estimating key ecosystem characteristics in a tropical terra firme rainforest. Forest Ecology and Management, 255, 558-566, 2008.
- Aragão, L.E.O.C. Malhi, Y., Barbier N., Lima A, Shimabukuro Y., Anderson L. and Saatchi S. (2008) Interactions between rainfall, deforestation and fires during recent years in Brazilian Amazonia, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society – Biological Sciences, 363, 1779-1985
- Metcalfe, D. Meir, P., Aragão, L.E.O.C., da Costa, A.C.L., Braga, A.P., Gonçalves, P.H.L., de Athaydes Silva Junior, J., de Almeida5, S.S., Dawson, L.A., Malhi, Y. and Williams, M. (2008) The effects of water availability on root growth and morphology in an Amazon rainforest. Plant and Soil. Vol 311, No.1-2 (189-199).
- Aragão, L.E.O.C., Malhi, Y., Roman-Cuesta, R.M., Saatchi, S., Anderson, L.O., and Shimabukuro, Y.E. 2007. Spatial patterns and fire response of recent Amazonian droughts. Geophysical Research Letters, 34(7).
- Luyssaert S., Inglima, I.,…., Aragão L. et al. The CO2-balance of boreal, temperate and tropical forests derived from a global database. Global Change Biology, 13, 2509-2537, 2007.
- D. B. Metcalfe, M. Williams, L. E. O. C. Aragão, A. C. L. da Costa, S. S. de Almeida, A. P. Braga, P. H. L. Gonçalves, J. de Athaydes Silva Junior, Y. Malhi and P. Meir A method for extracting plant roots from soil which facilitates rapid sample processing without compromising measurement accuracy. New Phytologist (2007)
- Metcalfe, D. B., Meir, P., Aragao, L. E. O. C., Malhi, Y., da Costa, A. C. L., Braga, A., Goncalves, P. H. L., de Athaydes, J., Almeida, S., Williams, M. (2007) Factors controlling spatio-temporal variation in carbon dioxide efflux from surface litter, roots, and soil organic matter at four rain forest sites in the eastern Amazon , Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 112 (G4): Art. No. G04001
- Dora M. Villela, Marcelo T. Nascimento, Luiz Eduardo O.C. de ARAGÃO & Deborah M. da Gama. EFFECT OF SELECTIVE LOGGING ON FOREST STRUCTURE AND NUTRIENT CYCLING IN A SEASONALLY DRY BRAZILIAN ATLANTIC FOREST. [PDF: 574KB] Journal of Biogeography, vol.33, pp 506-516, 2006.
- Júnior, J.A.S, Costa, R.F., Braga, A.P., Costa, A.C.L., Gonçalves, P.H.L., Malhi, Y., Aragão, L.E.O.C., Meir, P. Sazonality of meteorological elements in a mangrove ecosystem in the equatorial region, Pará, Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Meteorology vol. 21, n.3, 248-257, 2006 (in Portuguese).
- Costa, A.C.L., Braga, A.P., Gonçalves, P.H.L., Costa, R.F, Júnior, J.A.S, Malhi, Y., Aragão, L.E.O.C., Meir, P. Hydrometeorologics Studies in a Tropical Rainforest in Amazonia – Esecaflor Project. Brazilian Journal of Meteorology Vol. 21, n.3, 283-290, 2006 (in Portuguese).
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Williams, Mathew. SPATIAL VALIDATION OF COLLECTION 4 MODIS LAI PRODUCT IN EASTERN AMAZON. [PDF: 1.17MB] IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol 43(11), pp. 2526-2534, 2005.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Williams, Mathew. LANDSCAPE PATTERN AND SPATIAL VARIABILITY OF LEAF AREA INDEX IN EASTERN AMAZONIA. [PDF: 520KB] Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 211(3), pp. 240-256, 2005.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Williams, Mathew. GEO-SPATIAL DATA INTEGRATION FOR MAPPING LANDSCAPE UNITS IN THE TAPAJOS REGION. Revista Geografia, vol. 30(3), pp. 583-598, 2005.
- Shabanov, Nikolay; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; et al. OPTIMIZATION OF THE MODIS LAI AND FPAR ALGORITHM PERFORMANCE OVER BROADLEAF FORESTS. [PDF: 4.06MB] IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol 43(8), pp. 1855-1865, 2005.
- Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Machado, Evandro Luiz Mendonça. ANALYSIS OF THE FLORISTIC AND PHYTOSOCIOLOGIC COMPOSITION OF TAPAJOS NATIONAL FOREST WITH GEOGRAPHIC SUPPORT OF SATELLITE IMAGES. [PDF: 899KB] Acta Amazônica, vol.35(2), pp. 167-185, 2005.
- Anderson, Liana O.; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Lima, Andre. BURN SCARS DETECTION BASED ON LINEAR MIXTURE MODEL AND VEGETATION INDEXES USING MULTITEMPORAL DATA FROM MODIS/TERRA SENSOR IN MATO GROSSO STATE, BRAZILIAN AMAZON. Acta Amazônica, vol.35(4), pp. 453-464, 2005.
- Aragão, L.E.O.C. Environmental Justice in Latin America by David V. Carruthers, Bulletin of Latin American Research, in press.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de, Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir. Leaf area index estimations over the amazon: evaluation of modis mod15a2 product. Book chapter (in protuguese). Applications of the MODIS/TERRA sensor in Brazil. Ed. Rudorff, B.; Shimabukuro, Y.E. & Ceballos, J. Editora: Bookimage, São José dos Campos, ISBN 85-8739329-4, pp. 448. 2006.
- Charles R. Clement, Marina Pinheiro Klüppel, Laura A. German, Samuel Soares de Almeida, Julie Major, Luiz Eduardo O. e C. de ARAGÃO, Juan Carlos Guix, Eduardo Lleras, Antoinette M. G. A. WinklerPrins, Susanna B. Hecht. DIVERSIDADE VEGETAL EM SOLOS ANTRÓPICOS DA AMAZÔNIA. In press.
Technical reports and conferences
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Williams, Mathew. Meso-scale variability of soils and forest canopy properties is connected to geomorphologic features in eastern Amazonia. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Simposium, IGRSS, 2006.p. 1-4.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir. PERSPECTIVES FOR STUDYING MACROSCALE CARBON BIOGEOCHEMISTRY INTEGRATING DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES: ECOLOGICAL MODELLING, REMOTE SENSING AND GIS (in Portuguese). National Institute for Space Research, Technical Report (INPE-10731-RPQ/757), 2004. 88 p.
- NACIMENTO, Marcelo Trindade; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de. EVALUATION OF FIRE IMPACTS IN RORAIMA STATE IN 1998 (in Portuguese). Brazilian Ministry of the Environment, Hydrological Resources and the Legal Amazonia. Technical Report, 1998.
- Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Machado, Evandro Luiz Mendonça. USO DE IMAGENS DE SATÉLITES COMO APOIO GEOGRÁFICO PARA ANÁLISES FLORÍSTICAS E FITOSSOCIOLÓGICAS DA FLORESTA NACIONAL DO TAPAJÓS (PA). In: XII Simpósio Brasileiro de Sensoriamento Remoto, Goiania. 2005. p: 1501-1508.
- Anderson, Liana O.; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Valeriano, Dalton Morrisson. MONITORAMENTO DA RESPOSTA FENOLÓGICA ATRAVÉS DA UTILIZAÇÃO DE IMAGENS FRAÇÃO DERIVADAS DO SENSOR MODIS. . In: XII Simpósio Brasileiro de Sensoriamento Remoto, Goiania. 2005. p: 2811-2818
- Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito; Williams, Mathew. COMBINING LANDSAT ETM+ AND TERRAIN DATA FOR SCALING UP LEAF AREA INDEX (LAI) IN EASTERN AMAZON: AN INTERCOMPARISON WITH MODIS PRODUCT. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Simposium, Ancorage, CA, 2004.p. 1-4.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Santo, Fernando Del Bom Espírito. INTEGRAÇÃO DE DADOS GEO-ESPACIAIS PARA DEFINIÇÃO DE UNIDADES DA PAISAGEM NA REGIÃO DO TAPAJÓS: AQUISIÇÃO DE PARÂMETROS ECOLÓGICOS NO CAMPO PARA MODELAGEM DA PRODUTIVIDADE FLORESTAL EM ESCALA REGIONAL. In: XI Simpósio Brasileiro de Sensoriamento Remoto, Belo Horizonte. 2003. p: 1-8.
- ARAGÃO, Luiz Eduardo Oliveira E Cruz de; Shimabukuro, Yosio Edemir; Williams, Mathew. APPLICATION OF THE SOIL-PLANT-ATMOSPHERE MODEL (SPA) FOR CARBON EXCHANGE AND EVAPOTRANSPIRATION PREDICTIONS IN AN EASTERN AMAZON FOREST: SENSITIVITY AND ERROR ANALYSIS. In: 3 Congresso Brasileiro de Ecologia, 2003, Fortaleza. 2003. p. 1-3.
Dissemination of results
I have a keen interest in the wider dissemination and discussion of my research through presentations at seminars and conferences and interaction with the media. I have made key oral presentations at a number of recent conferences and workshops, including the Panamazonia Workshop (Caxiuana, Brazil, 2004, invited speaker), the International Workshop for Canopy Research PELD/GCP (Brazil, 2005, invited speaker), the LBA-Forest Disturbance Synthesis Workshop (New Orleans, USA, 2006, invited speaker and Salvador, Brazil, 2007), Climate Change and the Fate of the Amazon Conference (Oxford, UK, 2007, invited speaker), among others. My work was also quoted in several articles for the general public including BBC News (Amazon "faces more deadly droughts", March 2007). Planet Earth ("Amazon: the beginning of the end?", NERC, pages 12-13, Spring 2007), Blueprint Newsletter ("Will climate change kill the Amazon", , University of Oxford, v. 7, n.9, April 2007). FAPESP Agency ("Caminho livre para o fogo", April 2007, Brazil), Pesquisa FAPESP journal ("The stressed forest: researchers evaluate the effects of the 2005 Amazon drough", April 2007, pp 48-49, Brazil).